Plant-based pancakes: Blueberry Basil & Pumpkin Spice. From the 40-Year-Old Vegan. Get the cookbook here!
Traditional Pancakes with Blueberry Basil Topping
¾ c. unbleached, all-purpose flour
2 t. baking soda
¼ t. salt
¼ c. cashew milk or any other plant-based milk
1 flax egg (combine 1 T. flax meal with 3 T. warm water and let sit for 20 minute – it will thicken like an egg)
3 T. unsweetened applesauce
Blueberry Basil Topping Ingredients
6 oz. fresh blueberries (plus extra for garnish)
2 T. agave nectar (or maple syrup)
1 T. fresh lemon juice
½ c. of small fresh basil leaves
- Mix blueberries, agave and lemon juice until fully blended. Set aside -the mixture will thicken.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl with wire whisk until fully incorporated.
- Add cashew milk, flax egg, and applesauce until fully combined into a thick batter.
- Pour pancake batter onto non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, forming a pancake about four inches in diameter. When the pancake batter bubbles (in about two to three minutes), flip it and heat on the other side for about two minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve pancakes hot. Top with blueberry topping and fresh basil leaves. Sprinkle organic powdered sugar on top if desired.
Pumpkin Pancake Variation
Make the same recipe but swap out the applesauce with 3 T. canned pumpkin and 1 t. pumpkin pie spice. Top with maple syrup, toasted pumpkin seeds and dried, unsweetened coconut flakes.
What's Your Reaction?
Jane Velez-Mitchell is an award-winning TV journalist and New York Times best-selling author. She is the founder of UnchainedTV and the host of several shows on the network.