LunchBreakLive with activists, VeganEvan, Grandma Lynn and his Mom, Shannon Blair. Today, VeganEvan is making as many easy vegan recipes as they can in one show! They are making Mock Chicken Noodle Soup, stacked up Mock Tuna with Tofurky sandwiches!
VeganEvan shows us how to make the Mock Chicken Noodle Soup with a recipe from Mainstreet Vegan by Victoria Moran. They use firm tofu instead of chicken to skip the cruelty! Grandma Lynn helps keep the recipe moving smoothly and safely. Evan adds all the veggies and spices to the pot. While Grandma Lynn heats it up, Evan shows us how to make a super simple vegan mayo in a blender! Shannon recommends freezing the cashews after you soak them so they are always ready to use. Next, they use the vegan mayo to make a mock tuna salad with smashed chickpeas. VeganEvan adds the vegan mayo to the last sandwich too! Shannon hops in to stack up the sandwich with Tofurky, tomatoes, cucumbers, broccoli sprouts, and avocado. Yum! VeganEvan wants to share their creations “through the camera,” but since we can’t do that, try making all of these easy dishes at home with the recipes below! When they’re not cooking in the kitchen, VeganEvan, President of the global animal rights group Animal Hero Kids, and his mom keep busy with campaigns for the animals, including the one in January 2020 with Million Dollar Vegan and Veganuary all over the world.
Mock Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large celery stalks minced
- 3 medium carrots thinly sliced
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small onion. minced
- 6 cups vegetable stock or water with 2 vegetable bouillon cubes.
- 1 teaspoon salt-free seasoning such as Mrs. Dash
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 4 to 6 ounces short fine noodles (vermicelli or angel hair broken into 1 1/2 -inch pieces, or fine, round noodles such as
- anellini are also good)
- 4 to 6 ounces baked tofu purchase prebaked at a health food store. minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot. Add the celery carrots, garlic, onion, and about 2 tablespoons of water. Cover and sweat over medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add vegetable stock, seasoning, and dried dill. Bring to a rapid simmer. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer gently for 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Raise the heat and bring it to a more vigorous simmer. Add the noodles and simmer steadily for 5 to 8 minutes, or until al dente.
- Stir in the tofu, then season with salt and pepper. Serve at once.
Easy Vegan Mayo
- 1 cup of raw cashews ... soaked overnight
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon lemon juice or apple cider vinegar we used both
- Pour all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- Any vegan bread
- Can of organic chickpeas drained and mashed with fork or food processor
- As little or as much mayo as you want — start with less add more if desired