A Sweet And Tangy Sauce Perfect to Pour Over Vegan “Chick’n” or Simply Veggies + Rice!
Ready for a super easy, sweet, and tangy sauce recipe perfect for pouring over cauliflower or faux chicken? Join our featured Chef of the day Tonia L Carrier Hicks, creator of Your Vegan Friend Tonia, as she shows us how to make this simple and tasty sauce.
Chef Extraordinaire, Tonia Carrier-Hicks.
Tonia nails it again in the kitchen. She simply never fails! She has some serious kitchen skills when it comes to making delicious plant-based food. Tonia is not only an incredible chef, but she is also a hairstylist and indie filmmaker who has been doing vegan activism since 2018. She is grateful to represent the Midwest on the JaneUnchained News Network. And we love having her! Tonia has a YouTube channel called Your Vegan Friend Tonia that you should definitely check out. It is fresh and fun and filled with lots of delicious recipes, and other great videos about veganism and the vegan lifestyle. From recipes to interviews, and visits to animal sanctuaries, you can find it all on Tonia’s YouTube channel.
Now, Let’s Check Out This Sweet + Tangy Sauce.
Tonia uses onion, soy sauce, pure maple syrup/agave, rice vinegar, minced garlic, toasted sesame oil, and powdered ginger in her special sauce. I can smell the delicious aroma now, can you imagine? So much yum. This sauce would be perfect for a stir fry, or even just poured over a big bowl of rice. But Tonia used it to pour on roasted cauliflower and rice, which also sounds and looks delicious. The recipe is posted below so be sure to give it a try.
SWEET AND TANGY SAUCE
- 1 head cauliflower small head of cauliflower cut into florets and/or faux chicken nuggets prepared as directed.
- ¼ to ½ C onion largely chopped
- 1/3 C soy sauce low-sodium
- ¼ C maple syrup or agave
- ¼ C rice vinegar
- 1 T garlic minced
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- ½ tsp ginger powdered
- 1 ½ Tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ C water
- Sesame seeds for topping
- Preheat over to 450. Grease pan or use parchment paper.
- Lay out onion, cauliflower and/or faux chicken pieces single layer. Bake 10 minutes on center rack.
- (After 10 minutes flip and cook for another 10 minutes)
- Add garlic and sesame oil to a pan and fry for a moment. Add soy sauce, sweetener, ginger, and rice vinegar.
- Bring that to a boil and then turn down.
- Whisk water into corn starch until dissolved.
- Whisk cornstarch into mixture and cook on medium for 2 minutes. This will thicken right away.
- After food is in oven for 20 minutes you can broil for 2 minutes if desired.
- Pour sauce over food. Serve with rice. Top with sesame seeds.
Our Time Together Has Come To An End
Thank you so much for joining us for this awesome episode of #LunchBreakLIVE where we learned how to make a versatile sauce that can be used for so many meals. I hope you give it a try and let us know how you liked it. If you are looking for more vegan recipes to try, visit the #LunchBreakLIVE page where we have so many to choose from. Until next time…keep cookin’!
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.