Cream of Cauliflower Soup – Sandra Sellani, The 40-Year-Old Vegan Cookbook
- 4 t. vegan butter recommended brand Miyoko’s Kitchen
- 1 leek, white part only, finely rinsed and diced
- 2 medium-sized carrots, finely diced
- 1 pound of cauliflower florets, finely diced
- 2 t. fresh thyme, plus extra for garnish
- ½ c. vegan chardonnay recommended brand Pacific Grove ($6 at Trader Joe’s)
- 3 c. vegetable stock
- ½ c. Full-fat canned coconut milk, well shaken, recommended brand Thai Kitchen (coconut milk out of the carton will not work because it is usually not as thick)
- ½ t. salt or more to taste,
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 T. finely chopped red pepper, raw (for garnish)
- Sauté leek, carrot, and cauliflower in a soup pot with vegan butter until tender, about five minutes.
- Add thyme, wine, and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Pour entire contents of pot into a blender and add coconut milk. Blend on high until completely creamy and smooth. You can also use an immersion blender and blend while it is still in the pot.
- Pour soup into bowl and top with fresh ground black pepper, and garnish with additional fresh thyme and chopped red pepper.
What's Your Reaction?
Jane Velez-Mitchell is an award-winning TV journalist and New York Times best-selling author. She is the founder of UnchainedTV and the host of several shows on the network.