It’s The Final Day Of The 21 Day Vegan Kickstart!
We have made it to the end of the 21 day vegan kickstart in collaboration with #LunchBreakLIVE. Guest Chef Tracy Childs demonstrates how to make two more fantastic healthy plant-based meals: Zucchini Noodles with a Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce and Banana-Ginger Pancakes! Yes, finally we get to the vegan pancakes! I can’t wait…Let’s check out how she made these delicious meals…
Let’s Meet Our Chef
Tracy has been vegan since 1990 and vegetarian since 1978! She always loved animals but found herself as a California teen participating in the local 4H club raising sheep (her grandfather raised sheep in Idaho!) in her yard to take the fair for show and auction. She had her “aha” moment during that time, realizing she no longer wanted to raise OR eat animals! Ever since she adopted this lifestyle, she’s made it her mission to learn as much as she can about plant-based eating & nutrition, making delicious food and sharing these ideas with others.
Tracy is Co-Founder, Chef, and Director of Tracy’s Real Foods, a whole-foods, plant-based company that ships Goodies nationwide. She’s a certified Nutritional Consultant and holds a Certificate in Plant-Based Nutrition from eCornell. Tracy has taught nutrition and cooking for over a decade as a Food for Life Instructor, certified with the Physician’s Committee for Responsible Medicine. As the Founder and Director of Veg-Appeal in San Diego she offers educational cooking classes, corporate wellness, individual cooking lessons, store tours, & personal health coaching. Tracy is also the Founder and Director of PlantDiego, a San Diego-based nonprofit organization (PlantPure Pod) inspired by the movie PlantPure Nation, to educate and support people in living a healthy, whole-food, plant-based lifestyle.
Tracy is a regular contributor/producer for Jane Unchained News. In addition, Tracy is a cookbook author! She contributed over 100 recipes for the book — Handbook to Higher Health Consciousness.
21 Day Vegan Kickstart Day 21: Recipe 1
Zucchini Noodles…or Zoodles, as some call them, are a fantastic alternative to traditional pasta. I absolutely love having a good zoodle dish! Tracy made her Zucchini Noodles with a sun-dried tomato sauce that looks so super tasty! This is truly a guilt-free dish, full of nutrients and flavor.
Zucchini Noodles with Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce
- 2 zucchinis
- fresh basil leaves to taste
- 2 tsp pine nuts
- 1 tomato chopped
- ½ clove garlic
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- water as needed
- Prepare the sauce: Add the tomato and garlic to the blender first, and then add the sun-dried tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, fresh thyme, and ground pepper. Add water, depending on how thick or thin you want the sauce.
- Shave the zucchini lengthwise with a vegetable peeler. Do not discard the peel. It's part of the zucchini pasta!
- Top the zucchini with the sauce and garnish with basil and pine nuts.
21 Day Vegan Kickstart Day 21: Recipe 2
Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! Pancakes…yessssss! I love pancakes, and am so super excited about this healthy yet yummy pancake recipe from the 21 day vegan kickstart! These delightfully spiced pancakes are full of flavor and are a hearty option for breakfast or brunch. They are fluffy, just as you expect in a pancake, and taste delicious drizzled with agave, or the special almond butter drizzle Tracy used.
- 1 ¼ cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp agave nectar
- 1 ¼ cup vanilla soymilk
- 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- vegetable oil cooking spray to taste
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, ginger, and salt.
- In another bowl, combine the agave nectar, soymilk, applesauce, and vanilla.
- Add the liquid to the flour mixture. Mix until just combined (the batter will be lumpy).
- Add the bananas.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, then coat with cooking spray.
- Pour 1/4 cup of batter onto the hot skillet.
- The pancake is ready to flip when tiny bubbles appear on the top and burst, and the pancake is lightly browned on the edges. Flip the pancake and cook for about 1-2 minutes, until the underside is lightly browned. Adjust your heat so that the pancakes cook for about 1-2 minutes per side.
Start with 1 cup soymilk and add more as needed. You can also stir in some ground flax to thicken the batter if needed or add a little extra oat flour.
Tracy used oat flour instead of wheat flour and they turned out great! She also used maple syrup instead of agave.
In the video, Tracy made an Almond Maple Drizzle as a topping. Mix well with a fork adding water to get the best consistency. Almond Butter Drizzle
1/4 cup almond butter
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
splash or two water
Thank You For Joining Us On The 21 Day Vegan Kickstart!
Well, we have come to the end of the 21 day vegan kickstart…a great way to kickstart your new year in a healthy way! We had such a blast learning how to make so many healthy yet delicious plant-based meals. I have already made a few myself, and plan to try many more, and I hope you will do the same. And be sure to let us know how you liked them! If you want even more easy vegan recipes to try, stop by the #LunchBreakLIVE page. There are a ton of recipes to choose from. Until next time…Happy New Year….and keep cookin’!
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.