SUMMER IS COMING, GET YOUR VEGAN KEBABS READY!
Maddie Reich is a Jewish vegan blogger, recipe creator, and food photographer. She is a co-founder of Jewish Vegan Life which exists to help cultivate a community of support for Jewish vegans and Jews who are curious about veganism. Finding joy in cooking and baking led her to start her food blog and Instagram page, The Jewish Vegan. She has been vegan for seven years. Follow her on IG @jewishveganlife
THESE VEGAN KEBABS ARE HOLLERING MY NAME
Don’t have access to an outdoor grill? No problem! This warm-weather classic – Vegan Kebabs – turns out just as delicious when cooked in the oven. These Kebabs are packed with fresh veggies like red onion, bell pepper, cherry tomato, and mushroom (plus, your favorite plant-based protein!). These babies are packed full of flavor, and are so simple to make. No grill, no problem! I am a big Kebab fan, a summer favorite of mine, so I am looking forward to making these in the convenience of my oven, since I do not own a grill. Woot Woot!
Oven "Grilled' Vegan Kebabs
- 1 package extra firm tofu pressed for approximately 1 hour and chopped into large cubes
- 2-3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or liquid coconut aminos if gluten free
- hot sauce optional
- 1 package Curry Nuggets Hodo Food Brand or other vegan meat alternative
- ½ red onion chopped into large pieces
- 1 red pepper chopped into large pieces
- 1 green pepper chopped into large pieces
- 1 cup baby bella mushrooms
- 16 cherry tomatoes yellow or red
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- a dash of salt and pepper or whatever other seasoning you'd like to use
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- Ensure all of your veggies are chopped to the appropriate size. You want them to be large enough that they stay on the skewers, but not so large that they cannot be eaten in 1-2 bites.
- If desired, you can make crispy tofu to have on your kebabs. To do so, mix the soy sauce, oil, and hot sauce (optional) until emulsified. Pour the sauce onto one plate and spoon the cornstarch onto another. Dip the tofu cubes into the cornstarch, then the sauce, then back into the cornstarch. Set aside to use on the kebabs.
- Add the veggies and vegan meat alternative or tofu in whatever pattern you'd like. You can also add the vegetables randomly, but a pattern helps to ensure that you add them somewhat evenly and don't end up with a stick just filled with one vegetable. Repeat for all 8 sticks.
- Arrange the sticks on the baking tray.
- Lightly brush all of the vegetables with the olive oil so that they are coated on all sides.
- Sprinkle the salt and pepper on top of all of the skewers and then add whatever other seasoning you'd like to add.
- Place the tray in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 3-4 minutes before digging in!
SUMMER IS COMING
Summer is on it’s way and these Kebabs will do you right for your gatherings with friends and family. So be sure to give them a try. And, if you are interested in other delicious plant-based recipes to cook up, jump over to the #LunchBreakLIVE page where we have a ton to choose from. Until next time…keep cookin’!
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.