MOUTHWATERING BBQ JACKFRUIT TACOS
Get ready for today’s delicious recipes, BBQ jackfruit sliders! Today’s guest chef on #LunchBreakLIVE is Herbert Bell, Whole Food Plant-Based Practitioner, Certified Health & Wellness Coach, and Tai Chi teacher. Today he demonstrates how to make these crowd-pleasing sliders for your next gathering. Let’s take a look at how it’s done…
DEDICATED TO HELPING OTHERS
Herbert Bell grew up on his grandfather’s farm, which gave him many experiences understanding the symbiosis between animals, man, plants, and the environment. Adopting a whole food plant-based lifestyle over 9 years ago has led to new discoveries of the detrimental environmental impacts that man continues to exert on all facets of our lives. In particular, he has seen first-hand; how harmful air, soil, and water pollution, coupled with excess antibiotic and pesticide usage are transforming this earth and our health.
Consequently, a spiritual fast (The Daniel Fast) set Herbert on his journey to becoming an Integrative Nutrition Health Coach, International Certified Health Coach (CIHC), National Board-Certified Health and Wellness Coach (NBC-HWC), and Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP) Lifestyle Coach with the focus on teaching people how to “Eat Medicine Rather Than Take Medicine”. This journey is sustainable and worth the ride.
Herbert Bell has worked to protect people’s property and the environment for twenty-nine years. He has been a member of the American Society of Safety Professionals (ASSP) since 1995. He has held various EHS positions in consulting, construction, and the general industry. He is Past President for the Orange County Chapter of the American Society of Safety Professionals (ASSP) and past Administrator for the Environmental Practice Specialty of ASSP. His current focus is consulting for public and private entities in Environmental, Health, Safety, and Sustainability.
Herbert’s main focuses these days are gardening in a garden tower, pots, and raised garden beds. He has undertaken canning vegetables and fruits into a variety of savory items such as grape jam, apple jam, balsamic blackberry jam, apple sauce, habanero peach barbecue sauce, blueberry barbecue sauce, blackberry barbecue sauce, marinara sauce, stewed tomatoes, and chow chow relish.
About 14 years ago, Herbert was introduced to Tai Chi Chuan Yang 24 Form. He has integrated this “Moving Meditation/Moving Medication” into his Health Coaching practice to keep people moving and to provide alternative mindfulness techniques. Herbert further increased his Tai Chi knowledge by volunteering at his local VA Medical Center to teach Chen and Sun styles for veterans. As he has evolved with Tai Chi and Qigong practices; Herbert acquired advanced training in Tai Chi weapon forms (Broadsword, Cane, Fan, and Long Sword).
BBQ JACKFRUIT SLIDERS, A REAL CROWD PLEASER!
These simple, 30-minute BBQ jackfruit sliders will fool any meat lover! A crunchy, cool avocado slaw and roasted salted cashews add even more texture and flavor. The jackfruit is a perfect vegan substitute for pulled pork, absorbing flavors like a sponge and having the perfect texture for faux pulled meat. These little treasures are great for gatherings or dinner parties, and all who try them are sure to love them.
BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches with Avocado Slaw
- BBQ JACKFRUIT:
- 2 20 ounce cans young green jackfruit in water NOT in syrup or brine*
- 1/4 cup BBQ seasoning For 1/4 cup or ~45 g BBQ seasoning, use 2 Tbsp brown sugar + 1 tsp paprika + 1 tsp garlic powder + 1/2 tsp salt + 1/2 tsp pepper + 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 cup BBQ sauce Trader Joe’s Kansas City Style Organic BBQ ensure it’s vegan // plus more for topping
- AVOCADO SLAW: optional
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup or sweetener of choice
- 1 lemon or lime juiced
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Water to thin
- 2 cups shredded cabbage + carrots Trader Joe’s has a great cruciferous veg mix
- FOR SERVING:
- 4-6 whole grain vegan buns GF for gluten-free eaters
- 1/2 cup roasted salted cashews or roast on your own*
- Rinse, drain, and thoroughly dry jackfruit. Chop off the center "core" portion of the fruit and discard. Place in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Mix together BBQ seasoning and add to jackfruit. Toss to coat.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add 1-2 Tbsp oil of choice and seasoned jackfruit (use more oil, as needed, if increasing batch size). Toss to coat and cook for 2-3 minutes to achieve some color.
- Add BBQ sauce and thin with enough water to make a sauce. Stir and reduce heat to low- medium and cook covered for about 20 minutes (up to 35 minutes on low for a deeper flavor).
- Remove lid and stir occasionally. TIP: For finer texture, use two forks to shred the jackfruit as it cooks down.
- In the meantime, make slaw by adding all ingredients except vegetables (avocado through salt + pepper) to a small mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Thin with water until a thick sauce is made, then add veggies and toss to coat. Set in the refrigerator until serving.
- Once the jackfruit has been properly simmered, turn up heat to medium-high and cook for 2-3 more minutes to get a little extra color/texture (a tip I learned from Namely Marly!). Then remove from heat.
- Place generous portions of slaw on the bottom buns, top with generous serving of BBQ jackfruit, and cashews. Serve with extra BBQ sauce!
- Leftover jackfruit keeps for up to a couple days in the fridge, though best when fresh.
SO MUCH YUM WITH THIS LUNCH!
These little jackfruit sliders are super tasty, so feed them to all your non-vegan friends and family and watch them be amazed. If you decide to cook these up, take a photo of your finished sandwiches and tag @JaneUnChainedNEWS on Instagram. We have a ton of other simple vegan recipes on the #LucnhBreakLIVE page, so go ahead and check those out too. Until next time…keep cookin’!
What's Your Reaction?
JaneUnChained graphic designer, behind-the-scenes problem solver, and IG contributor. Donna is a creative in the film industry, a passionate vegan, and promoter of a plant-based lifestyle. Known on social media as ThatSnarkyVeganGirl. Follow her on IG @ThatSnarkyVeganGirl