This vegan Stew Is Full of Vegetables And It Even Has Oats In It!
Cozy up with this warm and comforting vegan stew made with vegetables and oats! Vanessa Marsot joins us on her virtual Vegan World Tour with a warm meal with common ingredients available all over the world. Let’s take a look at how she whips up this incredibly comforting stew, perfect for the colder months.
A Vegan Pole Dancer…Say What?
Vanessa Marsot is working on the Vegan Pole Dance Cookbook, soon to be published. She’s also a Yale graduate, and an actress, model, writer, poet, yoga and pole dance instructor, personal trainer, and licensed psychotherapist whose mission is to stop animal suffering. Vanessa founded Ellora Wellness, a global vegan organic wellness center, and one-stop-shop for creative, cruelty-free living. Ellora offers vegan, organic, ecological, non-toxic, and sustainable foods, products, and services. There are dance, yoga, and fitness classes, healing arts, Sunday brunches, a boutique of clothes, jewelry, and decorative arts, and a grocery store of no plastic, zero-waste bulk products. These are the 4 pillars of health as Vanessa sees them—what you put in and on your body, the need for movement and creative expression, and the need for healing assistance every now and then. She is also currently working on a book form of Ellora, how to lead an eco vegan life. She welcomes everyone into Ellora as family members in a community space. It takes a community to make a community.
Let’s Dive Into The Vegan Stew!
This vegan stew is warm and hearty, and has oats as the surprise ingredient, giving it a rich velvety layer, along with the potatoes. The lentils used in this stew add a rich nutty flavor and the leeks and carrots give it a fresh and sweet taste. The vinegar gives it a tang and mushrooms and kale add an additional bang of nutrients. If you pre-cook the lentils and potatoes, this can be made in under 15 minutes. Add the kale in last, to preserve the nutrients.
Thank You For Stopping By!
Thank you so much for joining us on this episode of #LunchBreakLIVE. This vegan stew is a perfect recipe with the weather turning a bit more chilly. And, it is full of all kinds of nutrients and flavor. The recipe is posted below if you want to make this at home. If you are looking for other fabulous vegan recipes to cook up, take a look at our archives, we have a ton of recipes to choose from. Until next time…keep cookin’!
Vegan Stew With Vegetables and Oats
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 leeks trimmed and thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups mushrooms thinly sliced
- 4 medium carrots cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 5 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1-2 cups of balsamic vinegar
- 2 medium potatoes pre-baked and diced
- 2 cups cauliflower florets diced
- 2 cups pre-cooked lentils
- 1 medium dried bay leaf
- 1 TB thyme
- 1 cup oat groats ground in a coffee grinder
- 1 cup chopped kale
- Himalayan or sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Once heated, add the onions and leeks; cook for 5 to 6 minutes, until the onions are soft and transparent. Add the garlic and mushrooms, then cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes. Add the carrots and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes, then cover with vinegar and water. Add the potatoes, lentils, cauliflower, oats, thyme, and bay leaf.
- Add the kale in the last minutes of cooking, and season with a few heavy pinches of sea salt and serve with fresh ground pepper.
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.