This No-Bake Dessert Is Perfect For Valentines Day (Or Any day)!
Want a little love bite? How about some Mexican chocolate love bites? Recipe developer and vegan author Ellen Kanner aka the Soulful Vegan will tantalize you with this tasty no-bake dessert on #LunchBreakLIVE, hosted by Vanessa Marsot of Ellora Wellness global. No-bake desserts are the best because they are simple to make, take very little time, and use minimal ingredients while still packed with flavor. Let’s see how these little morsels of yumminess are made…
Let’s Meet Our Guest Chef
Ellen Kanner is the soulful vegan award-winning author of Feeding the Hungry Ghost: Life, Faith and What to Eat for Dinner (VegNews’ Book of the Year, PETA’s debut Book of the Month Club pick), the e-book, Beans: A Handful of Magic.
She has been writing about the intersection of food, wellness, and sustainability for over 20 years for outlets including HuffPo, Civil Eats, Saveur, EatingWell, VegNews, the Miami Herald, and Whole Foods Magazine.
She’s conducted conscious cooking and mindful eating workshops at venues including Fairchild Tropical Gardens, Books & Books, MindBody Expo, Miami Beach Botanical Garden, and Healthy Foods Expo Florida.
Ellen has been featured in outlets including VegNews, MindBody Green, Psychology Today, Thrive, the Miami Herald, and Veganuary.
Time To Check Out The No-Bake Love Bites!
These no-bake love bites are not only delicious, but they are packed with feel-good compounds, and nutrition. Ellen taught us that chocolate means bitter water in the Nahuatl language spoken by the Aztecs. It was long used ceremonially and as a bitter substance, but add some vanilla and sweetener, and you have our modern versions of chocolate.
In Ellen’s recipe, she started by grinding some raw almonds, then added dates, cinnamon, cocoa powder, cacao nibs, vanilla, and some surprising ingredients. She added cayenne powder to make the experience of eating these tingly and stimulating, some coffee for its stimulating effect, and orange zest or powdered Aronia berries from #JustOneOrganics for some tang. What a wonderful combination of flavors that feel so exciting and stimulating for a self-love experience, in preparation for Valentine’s Day (or for any day).
No-Bake Love Bites
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1 cup Medjool dates pitted
- 3 tablespoons Dutch process cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch cayenne
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons fresh brewed coffee
- zest from 1 orange OR 1 tablespoon JustOne Organics aronia berry crystals
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar + 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon for rolling the love bites
- Pour the raw almonds into a blender or food processor. Process for a minute, or until nuts are coarsely chopped.
- Add pitted dates, cinnamon, cocoa, cayenne, cacao nibs, vanilla, brewed coffee and orange zest or JustOne Organics aronia berry crystals. Process again until everything just comes together as a coarse paste.
- In a small bowl, mix together the powdered sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Pinch off about a walnut-sized piece of the Mexican chocolate mixture (or use a teaspoon) and roll into a ball.
- Drop the ball into the powdered sugar and cinnamon mixture to coat. Continue with the remaining chocolate.
- Makes about 2 dozen.
Thank You For Joining Us For This Valentines No-Bake Dessert
What a special show this was in preparation for Valentine’s day. It’s always nice to get a sweet treat from our loved ones on this special day, so why not make some of these simple no-bake love bites as a gift? Or, if you want to cook up a full meal for your loved one, stop by the #LunchBreakLIVE page for loads of recipes to choose from. Until next time…keep cookin’!
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.