Looking For The Perfect Vegan Jamaican Recipe?
NFL Veteran Weslye Saunders, shows us how to make s a delicious plant-based Caribbean Coconut Jerk Mushroom and Asparagus Jasmine Rice on #LunchBreakLIVE. It is a delicious Jamaican recipe using mushrooms as the star of the show. Let’s see how a simple mushroom can be transformed into a tasty and flavor-packed exotic meal.
Who Is Chef Wes?
Weslye Saunders is a National Football League veteran, formerly of the Pittsburg Steelers and Indianapolis Colts. A Durham N.C native, Saunders attended the University of South Carolina, where he pursued his passion for both Journalism and football, while the 6’6, 225lb Saunders certainly looks the part, he attributes his success in the NFL to “mindfulness, not measurables.” Most recently, Weslye has dedicated his focus towards holistic training methods, dieting, and rejuvenation, which have all revamped his career.
Under the tutelage of Sifu Matthew, world-renowned Kung Fu Master and founder of Martial Arts of Wellness (MAOW), Saunders has mastered the understanding of electromagnetic forces in the body, as it relates to strength. He utilizes the techniques to treat common injuries and pain relief. Weslye is also a certified instructor with the International Institute of Sport & Movement out of Boston, MA. He also serves as an emotional intelligence coach with the Silent Victims of Crime (SVC) children’s foundation in Miami, Fl.
Time To Cook A Delicious Vegan Jamaican Recipe
Get your friends or family excited about this incredible vegan Jamaican recipe that is too flavorful to pass up. The Coconut Jerk Mushrooms and Jasmine Rice are the perfect combinations for a filling and delicious meal. The chickpeas are packed with protein and fiber, for that added nutritional value. It is a really simple recipe to cook up, taking very little time, but the dish is so yummy it will impress your friends and family for sure. So give it a try and let us know how it turned out. The recipe is below.
Caribbean Jerk Mushroom Jasmine Rice
- 1 1/2 C water
- 1/2 C coconut milk
- 1 C Jasmine Rice
- One can of chickpeas
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 C fresh ginger
- 1 T extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt to taste
- 2 T of Curry Powder
- 1 batch of Asparagus
- “Jerk” seasoning in the bottle
- 1/4 C Cilantro
- 2 Tbl “Jerk” Sauce or Vegan Soy Sauce
- 1-2 Tbl Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 C Whole mushrooms chopped
- 1/2 C Yellow peppers chopped
- 1/2 C of Cilantro
- 1 Avocado
- Cook the rice with the water
- and coconut milk. Add 1 T extra Virgin Olive Oil to rice with Pinch of salt.
- Chop up mushrooms, cilantro & peppers. Marinate the mushrooms, peppers and cilantro in “Jerk” or Worcestershire Sauce for 10 mins. Add to skillet. Sauté for 10 minutes.
- Cook the can of chickpeas in a sauce pan for 10 minutes. Add ginger. 2 T of Curry Powder.
- Place 1 C of asparagus on cooking sheet and warm up in the oven.
- Plate with rice, topped with gingered chickpeas, sliced avocado and asparagus on the side.
Thanks For Joining Us!
Thanks for stopping by for this episode of #LunchBreakLIVE where we learned how to make an awesome vegan Jamaican recipe that everyone is sure to love. If you are looking for more easy plant-based recipes to try, be sure to jump over to the #LunchBreakLIVE page where we have a ton to choose from. Until next time…keep cookin’!
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.