VEGAN CAKE. YOU JUST CAN’T GO WRONG!
Get ready for some vegan cake on this episode of #LunchBreaKLIVE. Decadent chocolate cake that is ridiculously easy to make, you don’t even need a mixing bowl! Today’s guest Chef B.J. Holliday shows us how to make this fresh, moist, delicious, and WACKY cake that pretty much anyone can pull off. Let’s take a closer look…
THE WACKY CAKE MAKER
B.J. Holliday grew up in rural Georgia where Deliverance was filmed and has been an animal advocate since early childhood. She persuaded her parents to take in numerous animals, including her pet rooster, Raustar, who spent his life with her. While working as a model in Tokyo in 1989, B.J. refused bookings for fur and stopped eating meat when she learned about the horrific cruelty involved in the factory farming of animals. Since moving to LA, B.J. has become an animal advocate volunteering with many animal rights groups. Her brand, Vogue Vegan, promotes a fabulous Fashionable vegan lifestyle. Being a conscious Mom to her human daughter and rat dogs Betty and Pico is a priority in her life. B.J.’s passions include being a SAG actor, who performed a principal role in The Veg Monologues, a staged production by Rob Curtis. She is also a California licensed Real Estate Broker whose specialty is restoring historic properties.
GIVE ME SOME VEGAN CAKE…LIKE NOW!
Also known as depression cake, the batter for this quirky old-school chocolate cake is stirred together right in the baking pan (no mixing bowl required!), which is how it earned its name. The cake recipe also contains no eggs or milk, which is why it was a popular treat during lean times. Wacky Cake is delicious eaten on its own, especially with a cold glass of plant milk, but we added a layer of fudgy frosting and chopped toasted pecans to make it more decadent. Some testers said it reminded them of a Texas Sheet Cake, but it’s much easier to pull off. Make sure to sift the dry ingredients right into the baking pan, don’t just combine everything in the pan and stir it up. Sifting makes the cake light and tender. If you don’t have a sifter, don’t worry—you can use a fine-mesh strainer instead.
Wacky Vegan Chocolate Cake
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Step 1: Preheat oven to 350°F. Sift flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt into an ungreased 8- x 8-inch baking pan; spread mixture evenly in pan. Make 1 large well and 2 small wells in mixture in pan. Carefully pour oil into the large well, vinegar into 1 small well, and vanilla into remaining small well. Pour 1 cup water evenly over entire mixture in pan. Stir everything together using a fork until combined.
- Step 2: Bake in preheated oven until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack.
- Step 3: Pour Wacky Cake Frosting over warm cake. Sprinkle with chopped pecans. Cool completely, about 2 hours.
THANKS FOR STOPPING BY FOR SOME VEGAN CAKE!
Nothing beats a moist chocolate cake for lunch! Haha. This cake is so simple to make even I could probably pull it off. And I am definitely going to try! If you decide to make this decadent dessert, be sure to let us know how you liked it. Take a photo and tag @JaneUnChainedNews on Instagram. If you are looking for more easy plant-based recipes to try, be sure to check out the #LunchBreakLIVE page where we have a ton to choose from. Until next time…keep cookin’!
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.