Vegan Thanksgiving Is Around The Corner
Savory plant-based Sage Lentil Pie is the perfect recipe for your vegan Thanksgiving! Today on #LunchBreakLIVE we have a vegan chef and educator, Sharon Palmer: The Plant-Powered Dietitian, MSFS, RDN, creating this scrumptious favorite from her cookbook. This tasty pie would be a perfect main dish on your table this holiday season. It is full of flavor, texture, and love. Let’s take a closer look at how it is done…
Plant-Based Nutrition and Sustainability Educator + A Master in The Kitchen
Sharon Palmer, MSFS, RDN Known as The Plant-Powered Dietitian, has established an award-winning career in the field of plant-based nutrition and sustainability. One of the most widely recognized registered dietitians in the world, Sharon is an accomplished writer, editor, blogger, author, speaker, professor, advisor, and media expert. In particular, she has gained recognition for her expertise in plant-based nutrition and sustainability. Sharon has authored over 1000 articles in a variety of publications, including Better Homes and Gardens, Oprah Magazine, and LA Times. Her book The Plant-Powered Diet: The Lifelong Eating Plan for Achieving Optimal Health, Beginning Today (The Experiment, July 2012) was a critical success, which was followed by her second book Plant-Powered for Life: Eat Your Way to Lasting Health with 52 Simple Steps & 125 Delicious Recipes in July 2014. Her latest book, California Vegan: Inspiration and Recipes from the People and Places of the Golden State, was published on March 15, 2021. And she’s currently working on her fourth book on plant-based eating due for publication in 2022. Sharon also has contributed to several book chapters on nutrition and sustainability. She serves as the nutrition editor for Today’s Dietitian, associate faculty in the MS of Sustainable Food Systems Program at Prescott College, nutrition consultant for several organizations such as AICR and Oldways, and co-founder of Food and Planet. Sharon presents frequently at conferences and is a weekly contributing nutrition expert in the media, including print, online, radio, podcasts, television, social media, videos, and film. Sharon enjoys organizing farm and sustainability tours across the world, including her collaboration on her Italian Alps Sustainability Food Tour. Sharon recently completed her Master of Science in Sustainable Food Systems from Green Mountain College in Vermont. And she still has time to blog every day for her popular online community (400K members strong and growing) at SharonPalmer.com, The Plant-Powered Dietitian. Living in the sustainability mecca of Ojai, California with her husband and two dogs, Sharon enjoys tending to her own organic garden, visiting the local farmers market, volunteering in local environmental organizations, and cooking for friends and family.
Lentil Sage Pie, Perfect For A Vegan Thanksgiving
This oh-so savory, comforting, deep dish vegan pie is filled with a rich lentil mushroom filling and topped with a flaky sage wheat pastry. Perfect for your holiday table. It’s a pretty simple recipe to put together and is sure to impress all who join you for a plant-based holiday celebration. This would make a perfect main dish for any of the upcoming holidays. It’s a heavenly meal, sure to satisfy your desire for comfort food this season.
Vegan Sage Lentil Pie
- Lentil Mushroom Filling:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 8-ounce sweet potato, peeled, cubed
- 4 ounces fresh green beans chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup brown or green lentils dried
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage or 1 tablespoon dried
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 tablespoon whole grain prepared mustard
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- ¼ cup plant-based milk plain, unsweetened
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Salt as desired (optional)
- Sage Pastry Crust:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt optional
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage may substitute 1 tablespoondried
- 1/3 cup vegan butter stick
- 4-5 tablespoons ice water
- Heat olive oil in a heavy pot or saucepan.
- Add onion and cloves and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add sweet potato, green beans and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add lentils, sage, thyme, mustard, and black pepper and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add vegetable broth, water, and soy sauce, and cook for 15minutes.
- Mix plant-based milk with flour until smooth. Stir into lentil mixture, and cook until thickened and bubbling(about 5 minutes).
- Season with salt, as desired.
- Transfer filling into a deep-dish pastry bowl or round casserole that fits 1 ½ quarts.
- To make Sage Pastry Crust: In a medium bowl, mix together all purpose, whole wheat flour, and salt. Mix in sage.
- Cut in vegan butter with a fork until makes crumbly texture.
- Add cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and mix (may use clean hands) until it creates a firm dough that holds together, but is not sticky. Do not overwork dough, as it will get tough.
- Turn out pastry dough on a floured surface and roll out with a pastry roller to create a circle about 11-inches in diameter.
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Place the pastry over the top of the savory pie, and crimp the edges with your fingers to secure the pastry dough to the top of the dish.
- Cut several vents with a knife along the pie.
- Place the savory pie on a baking sheet (in case it boils over), and place in the oven. Bake for about 20-22 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove and serve.
- Makes 6 servings (about 1 cup each).
THE HOLIDAYS ARE HERE, GET READY
What an awesome episode of #LunchBreakLIVE where we learned how to make this incredible lentil sage pie, perfect for your upcoming vegan Thanksgiving. Give the recipe a try and let us know how you liked it. Take a photo of your finished dish and tag @Unchained_TV on Instagram. Looking for other easy plant-based recipes to try? Jump on over to the #LunchBreakLIVE page, where we have a ton to choose from. Until next time…keep cookin’!
What's Your Reaction?
JaneUnChained graphic designer, behind-the-scenes problem solver, and IG contributor. Donna is a creative in the film industry, a passionate vegan, and promoter of a plant-based lifestyle. Known on social media as ThatSnarkyVeganGirl. Follow her on IG @ThatSnarkyVeganGirl