A Vegan Pot Pie, Traditional Iconic Food Made Plant-Based!
A vegan pot pie you don’t want to miss! Inspired by country music star Trisha Yearwood’s recipe, this all-American favorite has a vegan twist! Jump in the kitchen with host Melissa Breslow, founder of Mind-Body-Space and Open Eyes Foundation, along with taste tester Brooke Barn, stylist and marketing expert, and clean cuisine chef, Mary Alice Graham. Chef Mary shows us how to throw this incredible plant-based pot pie together, which is actually pretty simple! Let’s take a look at how it’s done…
Our Chef Of The Day
Mary is a professional chef who has traveled around the world living in different spiritual sanctuaries. She is full of laughter and joy and lives life to the fullest. Mary has traveled the world for 15 years as a plant-based chef, learning from the best and teaching from France to South Korea, Sri Lanka, and Costa Rica! Bringing into “clean cuisine” the wisdom of cultures, organic gardens, and years of recipe creation in the vegan raw food world. Working for a wide variety of clients, corporations, and celebrities, Mary finds her finest contribution in volunteering and working to support plant-based communities that embrace all people, all beings. She recently moved to LA, who knows what’s next for this magnificent and talented woman!
Let’s Get Vegan Pot Pie Cookin’!
Pot pie is an American classic. It’s nostalgic and timeless. So why not veganize it? Chef Mary did just that, and it is absolutely delicious! Filled with all kinds of beautiful, colorful veggies, a thick delicious gravy-like sauce, and wrapped in a flaky pie crust, you just can’t go wrong! Pot pie was a favorite of mine as a kid, and it has been decades since I have had one, so I am looking forward to giving this tasty recipe a try.
Vegetable Pot Pie Recipe
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 cup small diced potatoes
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup butter substitute such as Earth Balance
- 1/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 2/3 cup almond or soy milk
- Two 9-inch deep dish unbaked pie crusts, lard free
- * Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- * In a medium saucepan, combine the carrots, peas, potatoes and celery. Cover with water, bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat, drain and set aside.
- * In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the onions in the butter substitute until they are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper, celery seed and garlic powder. Cook for 2 minutes to get the flour taste out. Slowly stir in the broth and then add the milk. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until thick, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the drained vegetables. Roll out one of the unbaked crusts and place in a 9-inch-deep pie plate. Pour the mixture into the bottom crust.
- * Roll out the second pie crust and place on top. Seal the edges and cut small slits in the top to allow steam to escape. Bake until the pastry is golden brown and the filling is bubbly, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Thanks For Joining Us For Lunch
We loved having these lovely ladies on #LunchBreakLIVE, showing us how to make this delicious and timeless vegan pot pie! This recipe is sure to become a new family favorite, especially in the winter months when you are craving something warm and comforting. Go ahead and give it a try and let us know how much you loved it! Take a photo of your finished dish and tag @UnChained_TV on Instagram. In search of more easy vegan recipes to cook up? Hop on over to the #LunchBreakLIVE page, where we have a ton to choose from. Until next time…keep cookin’!
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.