A Vegan Chick’n Fajita Taco Recipe Everyone Will Love
Learn how to make your own, fresh ’n tasty chick’n fajita tacos using soy curls! Join Tracy Childs of Tracy’s REAL Foods and Veg-Appeal in the kitchen as she makes your everyday easy-to-make taco…. a friendly fajita feast! Super simple to make, and it even comes with homemade plant-based sour cream! Let’s take a look at how it’s done…
A WEALTH OF HEALTH AND KNOWLEDGE
Tracy is a super passionate healthy food advocate who fully embraced a plant-based lifestyle after first becoming vegetarian as a teen, then vegan as a young adult. She’s dedicated to spreading the message of how plants & lifestyle choices can heal the planet, protect animals and help us avoid needless suffering from lifestyle-related diseases.
She is co-founder, chef, and director of Tracy’s Real Foods a whole-foods, plant-based company that ships healthy Goodies nationwide. She’s a certified Nutritional Consultant and holds a Certificate in Plant-Based Nutrition from eCornell. Tracy has also taught nutrition and cooking for over a decade as a Food for Life Instructor, certified with the Physician’s Committee for Responsible Medicine. As the Founder and Director of Veg-Appeal in San Diego, she offers healthy cooking classes, corporate wellness, individual & cooking lessons, store tours & personal health coaching. Tracy is also the Founder and Director of PlantDiego, a San Diego-based nonprofit “PlantPure Pod” inspired by the movie PlantPure Nation to educate and support people in living a healthy, whole-food, plant-based lifestyle. She loves sharing healthy food tips so much she’s a frequent contributor, filming live cooking demos for #LunchBreakLive on Facebook with the Jane Unchained News Network. In addition, Tracy is a cookbook contributor! She contributed over 100 recipes for the book by —David Kater: Handbook to Higher Health Consciousness and has a new one coming out this fall by Glen Mercer called “Food is Climate.”
How to Make Friendly Fajita Tacos
These fajitas are friendly to the planet, the animals, and your health. You can enjoy authentic “chicken” fajitas on taco night without cruelty or excess fat and calories! This is so easy it can be an everyday meal that still tastes special. Using Butler Soy Curls is fun, and the taste/texture/look is remarkably like chicken. Soy Curls have been around for a while, and they are super versatile, and act as a sponge when it comes to absorbing the flavors you add to your dish.
The sour cream is a creamy and cool, completely vegan addition to many Mexican or spicy dishes and it can also sub in for dairy-based sour cream in recipes.
FRIENDLY FAJITAS TACOS
- 2 cups Butler Soy Curls
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 ½ tablespoons Tracy’s Real Foods Chicken-Free Seasoning see Chef’s Note
- ½ large red onion sliced
- ½ large tomato diced
- ½ large green pepper sliced
- ½ large red pepper sliced
- 1 cup mushroom slices
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- Water or veggie broth as needed to sauté
- 8 corn tortillas
- Toppings of choice (options include: fresh cilantro, salsa, pico de gallo, onions, shredded lettuce/cabbage, chopped tomatoes, sliced avocado, Tofu Cashew Sour Cream
- TOFU CASHEW SOUR CREAM:
- 1 cup firm tofu squeezed lightly to remove excess moisture if needed
- 1/2 cup cashews soaked for 4-8 hours and drained well
- 1 tablespoon light miso
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 400 and line a cookie sheet with parchment.
- In a medium saucepan, place the soy curls, water, and seasoning. Stir well, bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to simmer allowing the liquid to hydrate the soy curls and flavors are absorbed.
- Place the soy curls on the cookie sheet, in a single layer. Bake for 10-12 minutes until the soy curls dry out to a chewy consistency and remove from the oven to cool.
- Meanwhile in a skillet, sauté the veggies (onions, tomato, peppers, and mushrooms) with the spices, adding splashes of veggie broth or water to prevent burning. Reduce the heat, cover and allow the veggies to steam, release their natural juices and soften.
- Stir the prepared soy curls into the fajita veggies.
- Heat the tortillas to soften.
- Make your tacos and enjoy with your favorite toppings.
- CHEF’S NOTE: You can use No Chicken Broth or a vegan chicken flavored bullion cube if you don’t happen to have Chicken-free seasoning, but you can easily get some at www.tracysrealfoods.com.
- TOFU CASHEW SOUR CREAM:
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until creamy.
- Allow the mixture to chill for 1 hour to thicken.
Fajita Tacos for Taco Tuesday (or any day)
Thanks for joining in on this great recipe. I love a good taco, and these look absolutely delicious! Give the fajita tacos a try and let us know how much you loved the dish. Take a photo of your finished meal and tag @UnChained_TV on Instagram. Looking for other easy plant-based recipes to try? Hop on over to the #LunchBreakLIVE page, where we have a ton to choose from. Until next time…keep cookin’!
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.