RECIPES: Wine Pickled Onions | Raw
- 2 red onions, peeled and sliced paper–thin on a mandolin
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar or merlot vinegar
- 3 T liquid sweetener, such as: Sprouts Organic Blue Agave
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- In a small bowl, add all the ingredients and toss together well.
- Gently massage the onions so they absorb the liquid. Allow them to pickle for at least one hour or, for best results, let the onions pickle overnight.
- Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator, where they will keep for up to one week.
Citrus Cilantro Aioli | Egg & Dairy-Free
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise, such as Follow Your Heart Vegenaise Original
- 1/4 cup cilantro, minced
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 T shallot, minced
- 1 T white wine vinegar
- juice of 1/2 lime
- juice of 1/2 orange
- sea salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, add all ingredients and whisk to mix thoroughly.
- Serve this light, refreshing aioli on grilled or roasted vegetables or as a bright sauce on tacos, tostadas or wraps.
Baja Fishless Tacos | Plant-Based
- 1 (10.1-oz) pkg Gardein Fishless Filets
- 1/2 cup Wine Pickled Onions (see recipe above)
- 1/4 cup Citrus Cilantro Aioli (see recipe above)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cabbage
- 6 to 8 corn tortillas, such as La Fe Tortilleria
- 1 lime, sliced in wedges, for garnish
- cilantro sprigs, for garnish
- Prepare the Fishless Filets according to package instructions, fipping them when they are cooked halfway through to ensure even crispness.
- While the filets are baking, prepare your mise en place.
- Assemble the Wine Pickled Onions, Citrus Cilantro Aioli and shredded cabbage.
- To soften the tortillas, lightly steam them or put them in the oven for one minute.
- Assemble the tacos by first cutting each filet in half.
- Next, add a couple of spoonfuls of the aioli and then top with the shredded cabbage and wine pickled onions.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve immediately.
Serve the tacos with extra aioli, lime wedges and your favorite hot sauce.
Some of the ingredients for Kim’s Fast & Fabulous Fishless Tacos
Fast & Fabulous Fishless Tacos with Citrus Cilantro Aioli and Wine Pickled Onions