LIVE on Jane UnChained! PLANT-BASED GYROS! It’s a little Monday Motivation Monday Munchies and Dinner Prep Live all rolled into one from the Silver-Chic Chef Elysabeth Alfano: Radio Show & Awesome Vegans Podcast/Video Series Host! Put down the phone because you don’t need any delivery service to bring you gyros anymore. You can make them right in the comfort of your own home in just minutes! Your family will LOVE this!
We love a super easy recipe at Jane Unchained! Instead of using meat, Elysabeth uses Upton’s Naturals Seitan. She uses her favorite tool in the kitchen, scissors, to cut the seitan up into small pieces! Then Elysabeth rubs the seitan with transformative spices which include soy sauce, oregano, 1 clove, one drop of liquid smoke, and cumin, which is her favorite savory spice for meat substitutes. Next, Elysabeth adds fresh garlic. You can let the seitan marinade overnight, but Elysabeth doesn’t have time for that so she sautés it right away. While the seitan is sauteing, Elysabeth makes the traditional cool cucumber tzatziki sauce with almond yogurt, diced cucumbers, dill, lemon, and salt. She mixes it all together and the sauce is done. After the seitan is almost ready, Elysabeth adds a sprinkle fresh rosemary from her garden. Elysabeth assembles her gyro in a toasted pita with the seitan, tzatziki sauce, onions, tomatoes, and a squeeze of lemon. You can make put hummus in yours if you’d like but Elysabeth bypasses the hummus to get the full flavor of the seitan gyro filling. Once Elysabeth’s giant gyro is ready, she takes a big bite and says it’s super delicious! Skip the restaurant and make gyros for the whole family at home with the Silver-Chic Chef’s mouth-watering recipe below!
Check out Awesome Vegans with Elysabeth Alfano Podcast & Video Series
The Silver-Chic Chef's Plant-Based Gyro Perfection!
- 3 Whole grain Pita
- 1 packet of Upton's Naturals Seitan/Original
- 2 TBSP Soy Sauce
- 1 Tsp Cumin
- 1 Tsp oregano
- 3 drops of Liquid Smoke
- 1 Tsp Onion Powder
- Dash of Pepper
- 1 clove optional
- 2-3 diced raw garlic
- mushroom broth to coat the sautee pan
- Cut Upton's Naturals into 1/8" strips. No worries, if they become small chunks. In a bowl, coat with the gyros ingredients and mix. Add mushroom broth to a hot sautee pan and add coated seitan. Cook. When fully warmed and cooked, put on low.
- Warm Pita. Mix Tzatziki Sauce ingredients. Put aside. Take plant-based gyros off heat and put on warm pita. cover in Tzatziki sauce and tomato and onion...and let Elysabeth know if your family can tell the difference besides feeling lighter and healthier than usual after eating gyros! Optional Accoutrements: onion slices tomato slices
- 1/2 cup of tart plant-based yogurt
- 2 tsp fresh dill
- 2 inches of diced cucumber
- 2-3 tsp of lemon juice fresh
- dash of salt
- Dice the cucumber and put the rest of the ingredients in a bowl. Mix it up and enjoy it!