DELICIOUS Crispy Orange Tofu on today’s #SaturdaySnackdown with Erin Riley-Carrasco PETA ’s Sexiest Vegan over 50. This dish is protein-packed and SO Good! It is like “orange chicken,” but better, and vegan!
Orange is the new… DELICIOUS! Who doesn’t LOVE Crispy Orange Tofu? Erin Riley-Carrasco shares one of her families’ favorite staple meals and demonstrates how versatile this recipe can be. Be creative and add broccoli, mushrooms, pineapple anything you love! Erin has challenged herself to make recipes every week for #SaturdaySnackdown that are 90% comprised of what’s in her kitchen and fridge, and this absolutely mouthwatering dish is what she shared today! The standard “orange chicken” dish has nothing on Erin’s delicious crispy orange tofu. It is way healthier and certainly does not lack in taste. This is a favorite recipe of mine. It is so delicious and easy….and I am all about the easy plant-based recipes!
Craving Asian food? Definitely try this recipe. You will LOVE it. The crispy tofu is delicious…and the peanut crunch is a plus…throw it on some rice and you’ve got an awesome meal!
Crispy Orange Tofu
- 1 block tofu firm tofu
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/4 tsp chili garlic sauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 1/2 tbsp tahini or soy sauce
- 1 1/2 large oranges juice only
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 to 2 squirts of Sriracha hot sauce depending on how much of a “kick” you like. Erin puts 2!
- white or black sesame seeds or both!
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts
- 2 stems chopped green onions
- - prepare brown rice according to directions on the bag (Erin used 1 cup of rice to two cups of water)
- - drain the water from the block of tofu and then cube. Put 1/4 cup corn starch in a large ziplock bag and add tofu cubes and shake so that each cube is covered with the starch evenly. Put a small amount of oil (Erin used Avocado) into frying pan and add the tofu. Fry long enough to make sure that all edges of the tofu have been cooked thoroughly and the consistency is crispy. Drain oil upon removal.
- - in a bowl, add the chili garlic sauce, maple syrup, tahini, juice of 1 1/2 oranges, minced garlic, Sriracha and peanuts. Add a tiny bit of corn starch to thicken sauce but that is optional.
- -Whisk all ingredients together and then add the crispy tofu cubes back into the pan with the sauce and cook over medium heat, stirring often so the tofu and peanuts soak up the sauce. Cook for 5-10 minutes.
- - Spoon warm brown rice into a bowl and then add the Crispy Orange Tofu. Top with sesame seeds and green onions. Be creative and add your favorite optional ingredients like mushrooms, broccoli, carrots or even pineapple to this dish.
What's Your Reaction?
JaneUnChained graphic designer, behind-the-scenes problem solver, and IG contributor. Donna is a creative in the film industry, a passionate vegan, and promoter of a plant-based lifestyle. Known on social media as ThatSnarkyVeganGirl. Follow her on IG @ThatSnarkyVeganGirl