VEGAN FALAFEL ON #LUNCHBREAKLIVE
Andrés Velarde joins us again on #LunchBreakLIVE with is magical cooking in the kitchen…all the way from Peru! Today he is showing us how to make an awesome vegan falafel sandwich and no-oil french fries in just 20 minutes! Can you imagine…a Falafel filled sandwich homemade in just 20 minutes, with fries to top it off? It’s that easy!
MAKING VEGANISM FUN IN THE KITCHEN
Andrés is a vegan influencer and activist from Perú. He’s always been interested in how systems can change drastically with little breakthroughs. His most memorable breakthrough experience happened the day he went vegan on November 3rd, 2017 after watching ‘What The Health’ twice and realizing that he could solve his health problems, impact environmental change, and restore his values in society by just shifting his lifestyle. Andrés then realized animals weren’t meant to be food or items with a price. It wasn’t mathematically efficient to feed or satisfy the world’s needs that way.
Dishes like Falafel show us that plant-based recipes are timeless, and always tasty. Andrés feels vegan food is the root of what we were meant to eat in the first place.
Andrés is such a remarkable young man with so much ambition and is ready to do whatever he can to make the world a better, more compassionate place. I admire his pursuit and look forward to seeing what he has in store next on his vegan journey. Now, let’s check out the delicious meal he made for us on #LunchBreakLIVE.
YES, YOU TOO CAN EASILY MAKE VEGAN FALAFEL IN NO TIME
Falafel is generally a deep-fried ball or patty-shaped fritter made from ground chickpeas, broad beans, or both. It is a staple Middle Eastern meal and popular street food around the world. I remember living in NYC and getting Falafel often. It is so delicious and is all about the toppings and dressings you choose to smother it in. Andre makes it look so easy to make, and it is easy, so give this vegan falafel a try!
Falafel sliders with no-oil fries
- Ingredients per falafel slider:
- 1 slider bun
- Vegan mayo
- 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon of crushed onion
- 1/4 teaspoon of cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon of cumin
- Salt black pepper and garlic powder to taste
- 1/16 tsp of turmeric
- 1/2 cup of ground raw chickpeas you can also use cooked
- Ingredients for fries:
- 3 potatoes
- Salt pepper, and garlic.
- Making the falafel slider:
- Mix the ground chickpeas, parsley, and onion with your spices and the cornstarch in a bowl. Let rest in the fridge for 10-15 minutes. Grab the mixture and shape it into a patty. Add more cornstarch if desired before frying in a pan for 3 to 5 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Assemble your slider: bottom bun, mayo, lettuce, falafel, top bun. Easy!
- Making the no-oil fries:
- This works either in a mini oven or a regular kitchen oven. Boil your potatoes first until they are fork-tender.
- Feel free to cut them into wedges or sticks and sprinkle salt, pepper, and garlic salt.
- Place them in your oven at 200 degrees Celsius and keep an eye on them every 10-15 minutes. In my oven, I baked them for 35 minutes.
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.