What Makes This Quinoa Recipe Golden?
A Warm Quinoa Recipe Is Perfect For Colder Climates!
Let’s Take A Moment To Meet The Chef.
Ellen Kanner is the soulful vegan award-winning author of Feeding the Hungry Ghost: Life, Faith and What to Eat for Dinner (VegNews’ Book of the Year, PETA’s debut Book of the Month Club pick), and the e-book, Beans: A Handful of Magic. She has been writing about the intersection of food, wellness, and sustainability for over 20 years for outlets including HuffPo, Civil Eats, Saveur, EatingWell, VegNews, the Miami Herald, and Whole Foods Magazine. Ellen has conducted conscious cooking and mindful eating workshops at venues including Fairchild Tropical Gardens, Books & Books, MindBody Expo, Miami Beach Botanical Garden, and Healthy Foods Expo Florida. She has been featured in outlets including VegNews, MindBody Green, Psychology Today, Thrive, the Miami Herald, and Veganuary.
Wow, what a remarkable woman. We are so thrilled she was able to join us on #LunchBreakLIVE and share one of her special recipes. I can’t wait to try it!
Now Let’s Dive Back Into This Awesome Quinoa Recipe!
Quinoa recipes are a favorite of mine because I love quinoa! It is such a versatile food, great for bulking out a meal, and the nutty flavor is just perfect. And, it is a high protein food for all you protein addicts out there. It takes on flavor beautifully, and simply adds perfection to any dish. So I am excited to learn what makes this recipe “golden.” I think it’s the turmeric! The recipe is posted below so be sure to check it out!
Going For The Gold Quinoa Recipe
- 3/4 cup organic quinoa rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 tablespoons Just 1 organic mango
- 2 carrots grated or shredded
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- pinch red pepper flakes optional
- 1/3 cup dried organic unsweetened coconut
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- sea salt
- handful of fresh chopped herbs such as Thai basil, mint, cilantro or thinly sliced scallions To garnish
- any or all: bean sprouts green sprouts chopped roasted peanuts or cashews
- firm tofu cubed
- fresh tender greens spinach, lamb’s lettuce or arugula
- Pour water or broth Into a saucepan, stir in turmeric, and Just1 dried mango.
- Bring to boil on high heat.. Add quinoa, stir, cover and reduce to low. Cook for 20 minutes or until quinoa has absorbed all the golden liquid and flavor and sprouted its little endosperm tails.
- In a skillet, heat coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add sesame, mustard and cumin seeds, and optional pepper flakes. When sesame and mustard seeds start to pop and dance, reduce heat to low, stir, and cover.
- Give the seeds and spices another minute to cook. Remove lid and stir in coconut. Cook for another few minutes or until coconut turns golden brown.
- Remove from burner and set aside.
- Shred or grate carrots.
- In a large bowl, mix together quinoa, coconut, seeds and spices, and grated carrot. Pour lime juice over all, season with sea salt and mix again. Add fresh chopped herbs, and, if desired, a handful or two of bean sprouts or green sprouts to lighten and brighten the quinoa. Mix together with a light hand. Enjoy just like this or for more of a finished dish, spread a platter or shallow bowl with the fresh greens. Spoon quinoa mixture over greens. Top with chopped nuts or diced tofu and finish with another scattering of fresh herbs. Serve warm or room temperature. Works well for a buffet.
A Quinoa Recipe Success Story!
Wow, that looks absolutely delicious. Another successful recipe on #LunchBreakLIVE. Thank you so much for joining in on the fun and be sure to try this recipe for Golden Quinoa and let us know how you liked it. And if you are looking for other superb vegan dishes to cook up, we have many recipes to choose from. Be sure to check those out.
Lastly, there is a new awesome website called plantbasedneighbor.com that you should definitely visit and sign up for. It is a great way to meet like-minded vegan and veg people in your neighborhood. So much fun! Until next time…
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.