A MALAYSIAN CURRY RECIPE THAT IS CRAZY WITH FLAVOR
This Malaysian-style curry recipe with sweet potato patties will blow your mind! It is a simple, creamy, yummy corn curry made with a variety of healthy ingredients. It’s a dish that will soothe your soul with every bite! Guest chef Anushree Somani, makes the magic happen in the kitchen for us. Let’s see how it is done…
FULL OF HEALTHY IDEAS FOR VEGAN MEALS
Anushree Somani, is a Certified Nutritional Practitioner (Institute of Holistic Nutrition, Vancouver) & a Certified Plant-Based Chef (Rouxbe & Food Future Institute).
Born and raised in Mumbai-India, her personal health journey and passion for nutrition subsequently moved her to quit a successful career in the corporate world and follow her dream of pursuing Nutrition Education in Canada. After being caught in a vicious cycle of illness and being bedridden for 1.5 years, she transformed her health and life in 2011 by understanding and following a Holistic Plant-Based Lifestyle using only ‘Food as Medicine’. She moved to the US in 2014 after getting married to her husband- Prithu, whose love for food is what got her to get creative & make the kitchen her wellness playground.
After working in Canada & India in the field of health and wellness since 2013, Wakeup to Wellness LLC was founded by her in 2016 with a mission to inspire, guide and support individuals in making informed and conscious food and lifestyle choices to achieve their health goals. Through Nutrition consulting and Culinary workshops, she has helped many clients around the globe change their diet & lifestyle, reverse disease and transform their health.
She also is an avid yoga enthusiast and loves to read and travel at every opportunity.
MALAYSIAN CURRY, PERFECT FOR THE WINTER MONTHS
An easy, creamy, and delicious curry made with a variety of healing spices & a ton of flavor. It can be enjoyed with grains of choice or vegetable patties to create a wholesome, satiating & nourishing meal. This recipe is completely whole food plant-based, vegan, gluten-free, & oil-free, quick, easy to make, and super versatile. This is a great recipe for the cooler months, which are just around the corner. This dish is a bowl of health, with no guilt at all so go ahead and enjoy!
Malaysian Style Curry
- 2 shallots sliced
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 stalk Lemongrass halved and bruised
- 2 whole red chilies or 1/2 tsp chili flakes add as per spice tolerance but remember curry powder also has some heat
- 1/4 cup Mixed Peppers diced
- 2-3 tsp Malaysian Curry Powder depends on how much you enjoy curry (Recipe given below)
- 1 cup vegetables of choice we used baby corn, cut in rounds & broccoli florets,blanched
- 1.5 cups Coconut Milk
- 1 tsp Coconut Sugar optional
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 Tbsp Tapioca Starch
- 1 tsp Kelp Powder
- 2 Tbsp Tamarind Pulp
- 2 stalks Green Onions diced
- Roasted & Crushed Peanuts optional
- Fresh Cilantro or Microgreens
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Juice of fresh lemon
- Sweet Potato Patties:
- 1 large Sweet Potato can use any variety, steamed and mashed
- 2-3 Tbsp Chickpea Flour
- 2-3 Tbsp Millet flour
- 1 Tbsp Potato starch
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- Salt to taste
- For the Malaysian Curry Powder: Recipe from Rouxbe Cooking school:
- 10 whole cloves
- 10 whole black peppercorns
- 4 whole cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick about 2-inches/5 cm
- 4 whole dried red chilies
- 4 tbsp coriander seeds
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- For the Curry:
- On medium heat sauté the shallots with some salt & water.
- Once they soften add garlic, chilies, lemongrass and mixed peppers and sauté for few more seconds.
- Next add the curry powder with some water and sauté well for 2-3 minutes will the mixture gets aromatic.
- Add the vegetables followed by coconut milk with the tapioca starch slurry (tapioca starch mixed with water) and coconut sugar (if using). Bring to a boil and let it all simmer for a few minutes.
- Turn off heat, add kelp powder, tamarind pulp, some of the green onions and cover the pan with a lid till serving.
- Also removed the lemongrass before serving.
- Serve warm with accompaniment of choice (rice/ noodles/ wild rice/ quinoa etc.) and garnish with more green onions, peanuts, microgreens or fresh cilantro (if using) and squeeze some fresh lemon juice.
- For the Sweet Potato Patties:
- Knead all the ingredients to a dough and let it rest for 15-20 minutes
- Shape into patties and cook on a heated non stick skillet till both sides are completely cooked. Takes about 5-10 on each side. Can also cover the skillet for faster, even cooking.
- For the Curry Powder:
- To make this curry powder, begin by toasting the spices according to size, as they will toast at different rates.
- Place a pan over medium heat and toast the cloves, cardamom and peppercorns. Toss a few times, and as soon as they begin to smoke and release their fragrance, set them aside to cool.
- Do the same for the cinnamon stick and dried chilies. Next, toast the coriander seeds. Finally, toast the cumin and fennel seeds together. Let the spices cool completely.
- To grind the spices, you can either use a mortar and pestle or a spice grinder. Starting with the harder items first, pound together the cloves, peppercorns, and cardamom. Next, add the cinnamon stick and chilies and grind well. Add the cumin and fennel, finishing with the coriander seeds and turmeric.
- Once you have finished pounding, you can strain the spices through a sieve to achieve an even finer powder. If there are large bits left over, you can grind these again and strain.
- This blend of spices lends wonderful flavor to many curry dishes. To ensure freshness, store any leftover spices in an air-tight container.
THANK YOU FOR JOINING US FOR LUNCH!
I hope you enjoyed this tasty episode of #LunchBreakLIVE as much as I did. This Malaysian Curry is awesome, so I hope you give it a go. If you do, take a photo of your finished dish and tag @janeUnChainedNews on Instagram. If you are interested in cooking up other easy vegan recipes, be sure to stop by the #LunchBreakLIVE page, where we have a ton to choose from. Until next time…keep cookin’!
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.