This quick and easy tart makes a perfect light lunch for two. Serve with a green salad and enjoy!
- 12 asparagus spears
- 1 sheet of Pepperidge Farm Puff Pasty Sheets (17.3 oz package)
- Flour (to be sprinkled on cutting board and rolling pin for pastry)
- ½ c. raw cashews, soaked in water for at least four hours or overnight and drained
- 1 minced raw garlic clove
- ¼ c. + 2 T. of water
- ½ T. lemon juice plus the zest of one lemon
- 1 T. nutritional yeast, preferred brand, Braggs
- ½ t. salt
- ½ t. dried basil
- ¼ t. pepper
- 1/8 t. fresh grated nutmeg
- ½ T. red pepper flakes
- 1 T. pine nuts, toasted in a dry pan until lightly browned
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved and sprinkled with salt and pepper
- Take the pastry sheet from the freezer 20 -25 minutes before using.
- Blanch the asparagus by placing in salted boiling water for 2-5 minutes until tender, then draining and adding spears to a bowl of ice water until they are completely cooled. Dry the spears in paper towels and set aside.
- Sprinkle the flour on a cutting board and unfold the pastry sheet onto the board. Sprinkle more flour on top and on your rolling pin. Roll the pastry into a 10 x 11-inch square.
- Score the pastry with the tip of a knife or sharp tool one inch around the perimeter of the dough. Do not cut all the way through, just enough to make a line in the pastry. Using a fork, prick the pastry inside the square you just scored until you have tiny holes every few inches in the dough. Transfer to a cookie sheet that has parchment paper or foil covering the bottom of the sheet.
- Make the alfredo sauce by putting cashews, garlic, lemon juice, water, salt, yeast, basil, pepper and nutmeg into a blender or Nutri-bullet. Blend until smooth, about 60 seconds.
- Spread the alfredo sauce, on the pastry inside the square you made with the scoring and on top of the area where the fork holes are. Spread until the entire inner square has a layer of sauce. You will have some left over for serving.
- Place the asparagus spears in a parallel patter on the dough inside the score, until there is a line of 12 spears. Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper.
- Place in oven for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Sprinkle the top with pine nuts, tomatoes, red pepper flakes, lemon zest and additional nutmeg. Serve warm with additional alfredo sauce on the side.
- Cut and serve with additional sauce drizzled on top. Serve with a side salad or soup for a light lunch.
What's Your Reaction?