Nourish your body and soul with Grandma’s Vegetable Soup on this episode of #LunchBreakLIVE with the vegan couple Melissa and Kyle Breslow featured on the new plant-based cooking show “New Day New Chef,” as they cook up a hearty healthy soup for the soul.
Melissa Breslow is the founder of Open Eyes Foundation, an awareness campaign that inspires solutions for a sustainable future. She is also Vice President of VegFest L.A., a yoga teacher, and a sound and energy healer. A passionate vegan for over 10 years, one of Melissa’s primary goals is to create community and support to guide new vegans on a positive path.
Kyle Breslow is a CPA and senior manager at Goodfriend & Jacobs. Kyle has a background in entertainment taxation and business management. As a graduate of Cal Poly SLO, he began his career auditing financial statements of public companies with Grant Thornton in San Francisco. He then became a financial controller and eventually transitioned to business management, running a tax department for a small business management firm. It was during this time that he discovered his love of helping entertainment clients with their finances. Kyle’s favorite aspect of working with entertainers is the positive impact he is able to have on his clients’ lives and the appreciation he receives for his work. As an aspiring partner, Kyle is an integral part of the firm growth as he continues to provide exclusive and personal attention to its clientele. According to Kyle, “When you’re working closely with a client’s finances, it’s important to know your client intimately and always have your finger on the pulse in terms of where they are at and what they need to be doing to achieve their goals.”
Kyle is an active member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and the California Society of CPAs. In his spare time, he enjoys hiking, including Mt. Whitney and the Grand Canyon with his wife, playing tennis, or watching Shark Tank while pretending he is the fifth shark.
Two very impressive humans making one very impactful vegan couple! Now let’s see how they perform in the kitchen with some photos of their amazing soup.
Grandma’s Vegetable Soup
- 6 quarts water
- 10 large carrot
- 1 bunch of celery
- 3 large leeks
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 bunch dill
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1 tablespoon Dandelion Root optional
- 1 tablespoon Burdock root optional
- 3 large slices of Reishi mushroom optional
- 2 large pieces of Turkey Tail Mushroom optional
- Boil water. Keep heat low and cook longer to preserve nutrients. Begin by adding mushrooms, roots and chopped carrots. Wait about 15 minutes then add chopped celery, garlic and leeks. Wait about 5 minutes then add all ingredients, except parsley and dill. Add lid, stir occasionally and let cook for 20 minutes. If carrots are soft turn heat off and stir in parsley and dill. This is the time to taste and stir in any further seasonings. This is a great recipe to freeze for later so feel free to make a huge batch. Add more water if you want more broth for later. Serve and enjoy!
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.