Shepherd’s Pie is a traditional English dish that is usually made with minced meat (beef, or lamb), but today we watch Susan Hargreaves turn this traditionally meat-filled dish into a vegan masterpiece. Same great taste, none of the cruelty!
This recipe is shown in two videos due to technical difficulty, so please watch both!
Susan is a 40-year animal activist and founder of Animal Hero Kids. She travels the world celebrating, courageous and compassionate action by kids and teens. She infuses Animal Hero Kids with the passion, wisdom, and determination acquired during a lifetime devoted to animal activism. By zeroing in on kindness education, Susan plays an essential role in supporting, encouraging, and empowering youth to build a more compassionate world for all animals.
Susan creates and presents interactive humane education programs around the globe. Each exciting presentation concludes with cruelty-free vegan fare. Her programs, which often showcase stories of outstanding acts of kindness by youth, have been featured extensively in national and international media.
Susan clearly has passion for her activism, and also in the kitchen! Let’s check out the amazing Shepherd’s Pie she made in this episode of #LunchBreakLIVE.
Vegan Shepherd's Pie
- 3 Veggie burgers chopped up fine
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/2 cup broccoli tops sliced finely
- 1/4 cup of diced garlic
- 1/4 cup of diced onions
- 6-7 Quartered young potatoes
- 1/2 cup vegan marg
- 1/4 cup of Soy Milk
- 1 1/2 Tbsp of HP sauce-in the international aisle in your grocery store
- 1 Tbsp of nutritional yeast-sprinkled
- Curry powder- to taste
- Savory sage seasoning- to taste
- Garlic powder- to taste
- Chili powder- to taste
- Braggs Amino Acid- sparingly
- Sauté garlic and onions and spices on medium
- Add veggie burger
- Mix with wooden spoon
- Mix in HP sauce-English vegan version of Worcestershire sauce only better, Braggs and nutritional yeast.
- Add carrots, broccoli, lower, slightly the heat and cover, until carrots are almost done.
- Turn off the iron pan
- Take boiled potatoes and whip in marg, and slowly bit by bit add plain unsweetened soy milk and a touch of Braggs.
- Spoon the mashed potatoes on top of mixture in the pan after smoothing out the mixture to an even level, spread marg on top and use fork to mark the perimeter with prongs, some people trail the fork on top of the mashed potatoes making a grid like pattern, either way, the marg on the top is necessary for browning.
- Bake at 350 for 15 minutes covered with tin foil
- Uncover and broil at 500 for a few minutes at the end.
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.