I bet you are wondering…what the heck is TOfish? Well, on this episode of #LunchBreakLIVE you will find out exactly what it is and how to make it with guest Chef Andrés Velarde, joining us all the way from Peru!
Not only does Andres make an amazing TOfish for us today but he also shows us how to make the Peruvian staple side dish, Cilantro Rice. Oh so yumz! Andres is such a talented and dedicated young man not only in the kitchen but also in life. Here is a little more about him and his daily adventures.
“My name is Andrés, I’m 25 years young and an animal rights activist from Perú.
Since my early days, I had a passion for cooking, writing, business, and philosophy. I believe people have 2 lives: the second one starts when we realize we only have one, as Confucius said. Hence, my life began on November 3rd, 2017 – when I went vegan and decided to use my passions to advocate for the animals.
I created Andrés With Words (IG: @andreswithwords) in early 2018 – where me and my contributors write about ethics, especially veganism. I worked for my first vegan-led vegan startup (VegReady) in December 2018, where I stayed for a year and a half – living with my teammates in a plant-based startup incubator in Lima, Perú-and adopted a business mindset to bring veganism to the masses.
I started Andrés With Plants in September 2019, which is my vegan activism account (IG: @andreswithplants)– I cook, show my story as an activist, and share my thoughts with the rest of the world. With my influencer status, I freelanced as a Social Media Manager and Editorial Director for other companies, such as VeganHashtag (IG:@veganhashtag) and Vegan Health Pack (IG:@veganhealthpack).
I started a podcast in 2020 called Andrestimated, where I interview accomplished animal rights activists and educate myself on the meaning behind animal advocacy. Currently on episode 10.
I’m aware of the moments of a peak in my life. And I’m currently in one, working for WisdomHaus.org – a demonstration community in Lima, Perú for intentional 21st-century living, built upon the simple Dean Ornish lifestyle program for disease-free longevity, while profoundly addressing the major causes of global warming and creating an activist nod. So, not only can non-vegans come over to live with healthy, inspiring vegans, but we foster their inner vegan activist and be aware of the great service they can do for this world.
So, my life’s mission is to leave this world a better place by removing animal exploitation from our supply chains and learning to live together.”
An amazing young man right? Now let’s get back to the awesome dish he cooked for us on this episode of #LunchBreakLIVE. What is so incredible about this TOfish is how one simple ingredient, Nori, can turn tofu into a fish-like dish with very similar tastes and texture of fish from the ocean. Only there is zero cruelty and it is also far healthier for you and the planet to skip the ocean fish and dive into this TOfish instead!
- 250 gr of firm tofu
- 30 gr of nori sheet sprinkles salted
- 1 tsp of sesame seed oil optional to coat the tofu before sprinkling nori
- Spices: black pepper to taste.
- Batter: 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of cornstarch, 1 cup of water, salt and pepper mixed in a bowl
- cut your tofu into thin rectangles, pat them dry with a paper towel, stack them together and use toothpicks to keep them together.
- Dip in the batter and shallow fry for 2 minutes per side on a high heat.
- 1 tbsp of oil
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 6 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 knob of ginger finely chopped
- 1.5 cups of chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup of chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup of peas
- 1 cup of corn
- 500 gr of white or brown rice
- 700 ml of hot water
- Spices: salt, pepper, cumin, turmeric to taste.
- in a rice cooker, drizzle some oil until it heats, then toss in all your veggies (onions, garlic, ginger, cilantro, red bell pepper, peas, corn) and spices.
- Mix in your rice and water and let cook until rice is fluffy.
What's Your Reaction?
JaneUnChained graphic designer, behind-the-scenes problem solver, and IG contributor. Donna is a creative in the film industry, a passionate vegan, and promoter of a plant-based lifestyle. Known on social media as ThatSnarkyVeganGirl. Follow her on IG @ThatSnarkyVeganGirl