Day 14 Of The 21 Day Vegan Kickstart
Day 14 of the 21 day vegan kickstart brings us Fruited Breakfast Quinoa and Costa Rican Rice and Beans (Gallo Pinto). The Chef for day 14 was Evelisse Capó, who founded The Food Pharmacy/Farmacia en la Cocina where she provides guidance and support to those looking to adopt a whole food plant-based lifestyle. She shows us how to make these two delicious and healthy recipes, that are not only tasty, but simple to make. Let’s take a look…
Let’s Meet Our Chef
Evelisse Capó, PharmD, is a doctor in pharmacy turned “Food Pharmacist”. While practicing clinical pharmacy, she witnessed the pain and suffering of many chronically ill patients in hospitals and long-term care institutions. Questioning the effectiveness of the conventional approach to treating diseases such as cancer, diabetes, and heart disease, she trained in Culinary Medicine and founded The Food Pharmacy /Farmacia en La Cocina where she provides guidance and support to those looking to adopt a whole food plant-based lifestyle. Evelisse is the Culinary and Spanish Content Specialist for the T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies. Dr. Capó is a certified instructor for PCRM’s Food for Life Program and collaborated in the GEICO Workplace Nutrition Study coordinated by the Washington Center for Clinical Research. Evelisse shares her life with her husband, four plant-strong children, and three dogs.
Follow her on social media:
21 Day Vegan Kickstart Day 14: Recipe 1
Let’s dive into the recipes for day 14. I want to first look at the Fruited Breakfast Quinoa because that sounds so interesting. Would you ever think to use Quinoa in a breakfast dish? Evelisse shows us how to incorporate this powerful high protein grain into our mornings with ease and yumminess. Quinoa is a highly nutritious grain that was a staple in the diet of the ancient Incas. It has a delicious nutty-like flavor and a light, fluffy texture. This breakfast is similar to oatmeal, only made with Quinoa instead. Let’s take a look.
Fruited Breakfast Quinoa
- ½ cup dry quinoa well-rinsed
- 1 ½ cups vanilla rice milk
- 2 tbsp. raisins
- 1 cup chopped fresh or canned apricots
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- peach slices optional
- Combine quinoa and rice milk in a medium saucepan. Bring to a slow simmer, then cover and cook for about 15 minutes until the quinoa is tender.
- Stir in raisins, apricots, and vanilla, and then transfer about 1 1/2 cups to a blender and purée. Return puréed mixture to the pan and stir to mix. Serve warm or chilled. Add berries or peaches, if desired.
21 Day Vegan Kickstart: Recipe 2
Now let’s take a look at the Costa Rican Rice and Beans (Gallo Pinto) recipe. This Costa Rican dish, named Gallo Pinto (which translates to “Painted Rooster”), is a flavorful take on a classic rice-and-beans dish! This is a simple dish, filled with filling fiber, and a whole lotta flavor.
Costa Rican Rice and Beans (Gallo Pinto)
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 7/8 cup water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup rice
- 3/4 cup cooked black beans rinsed
- hot sauce to taste
- Over medium heat, sauté the onion and bell pepper in a dry pot until the onion turns a light brown color.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the water and salt and bring the water to a boil.
- Add the rice, bring the water back to a boil, cover the pot, and reduce the heat to low.
- Cook the rice for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the beans, and dress the Gallo Pinto with hot sauce.
Thanks For Joining In On The Fun!
Thanks for stopping by for day 14 of the PCRM 21 day vegan kickstart, featuring two more easy vegan recipes to help you jumpstart your year of health! I just love the recipes in this program because they are simple, flavorful, and incredibly healthy. If you are looking for other vegan recipes to try, be sure to stop by the #LunchBreakLIVE page. There are so many to choose from. Until next time…keep cookin’!
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.