Bahn Mi from 40-Year-Old Vegan
- 2 Bahn Mi Rolls or 1 French Baguette (cut two 6-inch sections from the baguette), sliced in half
- Sandra’s Vegan Mayo (recipe below) or ½ cup prepared vegan mayo of your choice
- 1 T. Hoisin sauce
- ¼ c. rice wine vinegar
- 1/8 t. salt
- 1/8 t. sugar
- 1/2 carrot, cut into matchsticks
- ½ c. daikon, cut into matchsticks
- 1/3 package extra firm tofu, drained, pressed to remove water, cut into four squares, about ½ thick
- ¼ c. Tamari or soy sauce
- ¼ t. freshly grated ginger
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 t. hot pepper sesame oil
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, cut into thin strips
- ½ English cucumber, sliced into four thin strips lengthwise
- ½ c. fresh cilantro leaves
Sandra’s Vegan Mayo
- ½ c. raw cashews, soaked overnight in water and drained
- ¼ c. plus 1 tablespoon water
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 t. apple cider vinegar
- ¼ t. salt
Mix all ingredients in blender or NutriBullet for 60 seconds or until fully incorporated. Let sit five minutes to thicken.
Bahn Mi Directions
- Mix carrot and daikon matchsticks in a bowl with rice wine vinegar, salt, and sugar and set aside for 15 minutes to “pickle.”
- Put the tofu in a ziplock bag with tamari or soy sauce, ginger, garlic, lime juice and hot pepper sesame oil. Let marinate for 15 minutes.
- Add 1 T. Hoisin sauce to mayonnaise. Mix thoroughly.
- Cut the bread in half, leaving a hinge, and spread both sides generously with mayo mixture. Put bread in a 250 oven to keep warm while preparing other ingredients.
- Heat the tofu over medium-high heat in a skillet. Sear both sides until it forms a crust, about two minutes per side. Set aside and keep warm in the pan.
- Remove bread from the oven. In each sandwich, add tofu, two slices of cucumber, the pickled vegetables, sliced jalapeno, and cilantro. Serve immediately.
What's Your Reaction?