#JaneUnChained #LunchBreakLIVE with Amber Rose Martinez, incredible animal activist, baker, chef and mom extraordinaire. Amber’s from East Los Angeles, California, now living in Alhambra, California, who originally worked in the fashion industry with FIDM, yet decided that the fashion business no longer matched her values, so she’s pursuing vegan baking full time. Through baking, Amber’s showing the world that you can have your cake and eat it too, cruelty free, no animals needed! She’s not only an activist on foot, volunteering with groups such as The Save Movement/ The Save Movement USA and Los Angeles Animal Save plus Animal Alliance Network, Anonymous for the Voiceless and The Gentle Barn, but also in the kitchen.
One thing people may not know about Amber is that she can cook as good as she bakes. Her Mama Pillar joins in the fun, along with Amber’s children to eat the dough made with all vegan products including Dandies Marshmallows, Trader Joe’s/ Trader Joe’s/ Trader Joe’s Vegan dark chocolate bars and graham crackers, Enjoy Life Foods‘ chocolate chips and organic coconut oil found at Ralphs/ Sprouts Farmers Market/ Whole Foods Market.
Paige points out the cool aspect about vegan cookie dough, is that you can eat it raw without the risk of salmonella from eggs often found in non-vegan cookie dough. Sounds good to us and Jupiter, her son, who runs off with a big spoonful to enjoy!
Amber became vegetarian last year and she transitioned to veganism a few months later. When Amber started doing activism she realized that she did not agree with many of the practices involved in the fashion industry, and this includes the treatment of workers, animals, and the environment. So she left and decided to pursue her other passion, baking!
Her young children, Jupiter and Audrey come to vigils with Amber, her mom Pilar, and sister, Summer Chacon regularly. Jupiter and Audrey love animals and they also love going to the Gentle Barn Sanctuary to see rescued animals. They even play saving the animals off the slaughterhouse trucks and driving them to sanctuaries with their toys. These kids couldn’t be more adorable and awake, even at their very young ages.
Amber’s dream is to start selling her yummy baked goods at food festivals and street fairs. She also hopes that her brand Mama Chingona Vegana will become a household name one day. She is very conscious of what she uses as ingredients and tries her best to keep the ingredients simple and natural. So make your Mama Chingona cookies at home with the recipe Amber generously shared with us below. But if you are like us order them instead and support a hard-working single mom vegan small business entrepreneur!
Order your Mama Chingona cookies here or on her Instagram:
Follow Amber on Instagram at mamachingona_vegana
Report Edited by Ellen Dent
Mama Chingona Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe:
-1/2 cup of Coconut Oil (must be solid NOT MELTED).
-1 1/4 cup of Organic Brown Sugar
– 2 Tsp of Vanilla Extract
-1/4 cup of Coconut Milk (canned/shaken preferably)
-1/4 cup of applesauce
-2 1/4 cups of All purpose Flour
-1 Tsp of Baking Soda
– 1/2 Tsp of Salt
-1 1/2 cups of Chocolate Chips
***I use Half Enjoy Life Mini Chips and Half Morsels
Toppings for Chocolate Chunk Cookie
-1/4 Chocolate Chunks, I use Enjoy Life Chunks (will be added to cookies once fresh out of the oven)
– 1 Bar of your favorite Vegan Dark Chocolate Bar broken into 12 pieces (doesn’t have to be perfect). This will be the topper on your cookie!
– Sea Salt, Optional(flaky, or grinder will work)
Vegan S’mores Cookie
Vegan Marshmallows and Graham Cracker
Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies with Nuts
Will have nut toppings
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (F). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, then set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the coconut oil, brown sugar, and vanilla extract , beating until well combined. If using a stand mixer use Wire Whip attachment for this step.
- Add in the coconut milk and applesauce and whisk until well combined, set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine the Flour, Baking Soda, and Salt; whisk well to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet mixture in 1/2 cup increments, and using a wooden spoon, a very sturdy spatula or if using your stand mixer change to the Flat Beater attachment. Stir until ingredients are combined. The batter will be very thick! With a spatula, fold in 1 and 1/2 cups of the assorted chocolate chips .
- Scoop three tablespoon sized mounds of dough onto the cookie sheet, leaving a few inches between each cookies for spreading. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges are golden and the centers have set. Press Chocolate chunks on top/or insert then into the warm cookies.
- Let cookies sit for about 5-7 minutes or until warm, not hot, and add your dark chocolate square right in the center. Sprinkle Sea Salt in the center of Dark Chocolate Square.
- Cool cookies on the baking sheet for 15 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
Photos taken by Paige Parsons Roache and Amber Rose Martinez
What's Your Reaction?
Jane Velez-Mitchell is an award-winning TV journalist and New York Times best-selling author. She is the founder of UnchainedTV and the host of several shows on the network.