Looking For A New Vegan Spring Roll Recipe?
Learn how to make this easy and creative spring roll recipe that everyone is sure to love. In the kitchen today is Brittany Drake, a vegan chef, writer, and organizer for the cutting edge animal organization Direct Action Everywhere. Also on board is vegan entrepreneur Sarah Segal. When she’s not expanding her dog walking business, she’s writing compassionate poetry. Now let’s check out these spectacular spring rolls!
Spring Roll Recipe Master, and Animal Rights Warrior!
Brittany Drake is an organizer for the Los Angeles chapter of Direct Action Everywhere. She has been involved in animal rights activism for six years and has been vegan for over eight years. She is a writer, a plant-based chef, and a mushroom hunter with a passion for fermenting fruit, veggies, and kombucha. She believes in intersectionality and is a strong advocate for equality for all disenfranchised groups. She has investigated conditions in factory farms and rescued animals all over California. Last year she locked down at a duck farm in Sonoma county in protest of the terrible conditions in which the ducks are forced to live. She also helped organize the 48-hour pig vigil last month where activists shut down the largest pig slaughterhouse on the west coast. Brittany is currently working on a campaign to get California to issue a moratorium on new factory farms and slaughterhouses.
Sarah Segal lives her life as an ethical vegan and animal rights activist, mindfully feeding herself healthy plant-based meals while she remains very aware of the suffering that continues to happen all around the world in animal agriculture and beyond, hence why she does what she can as an activist to help put a stop to it. She is the founder and chief caregiver of Beach Pets L.A., a private dog walking and overnight pet sitting service. She lives in Los Angles with her vegan beagle companion, Boomer Jr.
Back To The Best Vegan Spring Roll Recipe!
Spring rolls are the best! They are one of my favorite foods to eat and make. Super easy and oh so tasty dipped in delicious peanut sauce. So every time I can get my hands on a new creative recipe for spring rolls, I am all over it. And this one looks like it won’t disappoint! I have never thought to put noodles in my spring rolls. Sounds simply divine!
Ready To Make These?
I hope so because I am providing the recipe below so be sure to check it out and get cooking! If you want other awesome vegan recipes to try, be sure to look at previous #LunchBreakLIVE shows. We have so many recipes available at your fingertips. Also, be sure to check out plantbasedneighbor.com and join! It is an awesome site to meet vegans in your neighborhood, see what they are up to, what they are eating, and all the fun they are having. Thank you for stopping by and I will meet you here again soon. Until next time…
VEGAN SPRING ROLLS
- SPRING ROLLS:
- 2 cups julienned vegetables such as carrots, red pepper, and cucumber
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 4 ounces vermicelli or rice noodles
- 8-10 whole spring roll rice papers
- CRISPY TOFU:
- 8 ounces extra-firm tofu drained and pressed
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp soy sauce or liquid aminos
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sriracha
- Pinch salt
- PEANUT DIPPING SAUCE:
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce or liquid aminos
- 1-2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp sriracha
- Hot water to thin
- Prepare rice noodles in boiling hot water for about 10 minutes (read instructions on package), then drain and set aside.
- Cut pressed tofu into small rectangles and add to small bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients from the crispy tofu list and let marinate for at least 5 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, add tofu and sauté for about 7-10 minutes - flipping on all sides to ensure even browning. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Prep veggies and prepare almond butter sauce by adding all sauce ingredients except water to a small mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Add enough hot water to thin until a pourable sauce is achieved. Adjust flavors as needed.
- To assemble spring rolls, pour very hot water into a shallow dish or skillet and immerse rice paper to soften for about 10-15 seconds.
- Transfer to a damp cutting board or damp towel and gently spread out edges into a circle.
- To the bottom third of the wrapper add a small handful of vermicelli noodles and layer veggies (carrots, cucumbers,etc.) fresh herbs and 2-3 pieces of tofu on top. Gently fold over once, tuck in edges, and continue rolling until seam is sealed.
- Place seam-side down on a serving platter and cover with damp warm towel to keep fresh. Repeat until all fillings are used up – about 8-10 spring rolls total.
- Serve with peanut sauce.
- Leftovers store well individually wrapped in plastic wrap or in an air-tight container.
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.