Spinach Ravioli + And Raw Marinara + The Fountain Of Youth
Learn how to make Raw Spinach Ravioli and Raw Superfood Marinara Sauce with Celebrity Chef Karyn Calabrese! This Holistic Nutrition Teacher & Entrepreneur is known for her amazing vegan restaurants and spa! At age 73, Karyn is leading the way in healing and nutrition. This is a show you do not want to miss!
Karyn Calabrese, A Raw Food Mastermind!
Irony is something well-known to Karyn Calabrese. She is a 73-year-old grandmother who, without surgery or botox, looks nearly a generation younger. An advocate for veganism and raw foods, who once modeled for McDonald’s, Coca-Cola, Chun King, and Budweiser, a nutrition expert with no formal education who often attracts doctors to her classes. Not to mention the owner of a holistic day spa, and three vegan restaurants in the heart of Chicago, a city better known for thick steaks and stuffed deep-dish pizza than nuts and berries.
None of it phases Calabrese, a holistic teacher whose program of healthy eating and regular detoxification (e.g., fasting, cleansing) has advocates raving about its benefits, which include better mental focus, physical health, and skin tone. While counting among her clients and restaurant regulars are celebrities like Lady Gaga, Tasha Smith, John Cusack, Angela Bassette, Orlando Jones, Boy George, Stevie Wonder, Delroy Lindo, Steve Harvey, and Beyoncé, emphasizes that her approach to health works for everyone.
“Our bodies know intuitively what they’re supposed to eat, but we’ve trained them in another way since birth,” she says. “If you start giving the body what it’s meant to have, the results will be miraculous.”
Her four-week cleansing/detox program has its share of “miracles.” One HIV-positive client came to class with a T-cell count of only 50; by the end, it increased to 350 and he went off nausea medication. An 85-year-old diabetic had a toe that hadn’t healed in five months and was going to be amputated; by the end of the program, it had healed. “It’s a regular occurrence for cholesterol and blood pressure to come into balance,” says Calabrese.
Those who choose an “optimal” route not only forego meat and dairy but eat only raw foods for the month. “I know that sounds dramatic and drastic, but this is why people get dramatic and drastic results.”
Be sure to check out her book, filled with both vegan raw and cooked recipes, Soak Your Nuts: Cleansing With Karyn: Detox Secrets for Inner Healing and Outer Beauty.
Back To The Raw Spinach Ravioli and Marinara!
This totally raw meal Karyn made looks so delicious. I never even knew you could make raw ravioli, but you can! And it is so much healthier than your standard pasta or ravioli. And way more creative too! She uses turnips to make the ravioli, I never would think to do that! I definitely want to try this myself. I am posting the recipe below so you too can give it a try at home. And be sure to let us know how you liked it! Karyn looks amazing at age 73. She has a young glow about her and beautiful skin, looking at least a decade younger than her actual age. This makes me want to start eating raw vegan much of the time. She is so inspiring and a beautiful picture of health!
Raw Spinach Stuffed Ravioli with Raw Marinara Sauce
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 cup macadamia nuts
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes not packed in oil
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups chopped baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt plus more to taste
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 large turnips peeled
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1⁄2 teaspoons agave
- 2 teaspoons nama shoyu
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 cups chopped Roma tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup chopped green olives
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves chiffonade (see Note)
- olive oil (to drizzle at the end) optional
- Soak the cashews and macadamias in separate bowls in enough water to cover for 2 hours.
- Soak the sun-dried tomatoes in 1 cup of water in a separate bowl for 2 hours.
- Put the spinach in a large ziplock bag. Drizzle with the oil and sprinkle
- with 1⁄2 teaspoon of the salt. Gently toss the spinach with your hands. Close the bag and set aside for 10 minutes, or until the spinach is soft.
- Drain and rinse the cashews and macadamias. Put them in a food processor with the lemon juice and garlic. Process until smooth, stopping occasionally to scrape down the work bowl. Add about 1⁄2 cup water if necessary and process again if it seems too thick. Transfer the cashew cheese to a large bowl. Mix in the spinach. Set aside.
- To make the ravioli, slice the turnips into very thin rounds on a mandoline or in a food processor. Transfer to a large bowl. Sprinkle a few slices with salt.
- Gently massage them with your hands to soften them slightly. Repeat until all the turnip slices have been salted and massaged. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand for 5 minutes to soften further.
- Put a dollop of the spinach-cheese filling in the center of a turnip slice. Fold the slice over to form a ravioli and gently press the edges closed. Repeat with the remaining turnip slices and filling.
- To make the raw marinara sauce, put the soaked tomatoes and the soaking water in a blender with the honey, nama shoyu, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Process until smooth, stopping occasionally to scrape down the blender jar.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Mix in the Roma tomatoes, olives, and basil.
- Serve the ravioli with the raw marinara sauce or drizzle with the olive oil if desired.
fresh basil, stack the basil leaves on top of one another. Roll the stack lengthwise
into a cigar shape. Slice the basil “cigar” crosswise with a knife or cut with scissors.
The basil will fall into long, raggedy strips
Thank You For Joining Us For Raw Spinach Ravioli!
This was such a fun show with one of the most inspirational humans we have had cook for us to date. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. I just love new creative vegan recipes, and this raw spinach ravioli and raw marinara is a super interesting and unique recipe! If you are looking for more awesome vegan recipes to cook up at home, we have plenty for you to choose from so be sure to check those out. And tune in every day LIVE at 12:30 pm PST for #LunchBreakLIVE. Until next time…keep cookin’!
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.