LOOKING FOR A SAVORY OATMEAL RECIPE?
We have a simple savory oatmeal recipe that is Indian-inspired and oh so delicious! Today on #LunchBreakLIVE Dr. Sirisha Potluri, Dietary and Lifestyle Medicine Coach and Diabetes Educator shows us how to make this delectable Indian dish. This savory bowl of goodness is full of healthy nutrients to keep you going throughout the day. Let’s see how it is done…
DR. SIRISHA POTLURI
Dr. Sirisha Potluri is a medical doctor and dietary/lifestyle medicine coach certified in plant-based nutrition through ECornell. She got her MBBS from Guntur Medical College and did a family medicine internship at California medical center. Her interest is in plant-based nutrition and disease prevention.
She has hosted over 70+ plant-based workshops and more than 6+ diabetes prevention, treatment, and remission programs. She has been featured on numerous shows and podcasts including Jane Unchained News Network, Chef AJ, Gift of Health, etc. She co-founded and currently manages, “Plant-Based Thursdays”, a social network consisting of 1000+ active participants. Along with illness prevention and disease reversal, her passion is to craft whole-food plant-based recipes, which she constantly updates to her blog.
LET’S MAKE SOME INDIAN INSPIRED SAVORY OATMEAL
This savory oatmeal recipe is quick to make and is bursting will flavor from all the right ingredients used! It has green peas, carrots, ginger, curry leaves, green chili, dry thadkha, and turmeric. All combined with delicious rolled oats. I have never even thought to make oats as a savory dish, but this sounds delicious! It takes very little time to make so would be perfect for those days when you are crunched for time.
Savory oats (Oats upma)
- 1 cup Organic Rolled oats
- 2-3 cups water
- 2-3 cups green peas and carrots diced
- 1/2 inch ginger diced
- curry leaves to taste
- green chili to taste.
- Dry thadkha mustard seeds , cumin seeds , channa dal , urad dal hing (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- pinch of black pepper powder
- Toast rolled oats for 3-5 minutes until nice aroma is released and keep them aside.
- Boil 2-3 cups of water
- While water is boiling heat a wide thick bottom pan and add dry Thadkha and let them toast for 2-3 minutes and then add diced ginger, green chili’s, and curry leaves. Sauté for few more minutes.
- Now add toasted oats in and mix everything.
- Add boiling water along with carrots and peas
- Cook oats for 5-7 minutes , adding salt is optional . Tastes great with lemon juice and spiced flax seed powder!
THANKS FOR JOINING US FOR LUNCH!
This was such a unique recipe for some delicious savory oatmeal. I can’t wait to try it and I hope you do too. If you do, be sure to take a photo of your final dish and tag @JaneUnChainedNews on Instagram. Leave a comment here and let us know how you liked it. If you are interested in trying more delicious plant-based recipes be sure to stop by the #LunchBreakLIVE page where we have a ton to choose from. Until next time…keep cookin’!
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.