Santa Monica, Ca February 17, 2023, 9:30 a.m. PST
What is a Big Mock Egg Roll?
Is it a vegan Big Mac? Kind of. I bet you have never heard of a Big Mock Egg Roll. Neither had I. And to be honest I thought to myself…that sounds odd. But as I got deeper into watching Tonia cook up this special treat, I said to myself, “wow, that is actually genius.” It’s basically a vegan Big Mac in an egg roll. Just as the title suggests, and it is damn delicious!
Turning Non-Vegan Recipes Vegan is Simple With Chef Tonia
We love it when Tonia joins us in the kitchen. Her recipes are always so unique and flavorful, but super simple. She is incredible at showing how easy it is to turn your favorite animal-based recipes into just as tasty, and usually healthier, vegan options. Tonia is not only talented at veganizing any recipe, but she is also an accomplished hairstylist and indie filmmaker from Michigan who has been doing vegan activism since 2018. She is a powerful contributor representing the Midwest on UnChainedTV. And we love having her! Tonia has a YouTube channel called Your Vegan Friend Tonia that you should definitely check out. It is fresh and fun and filled with lots of delicious recipes, and other great videos about veganism and the vegan lifestyle. From recipes to interviews, and visits to animal sanctuaries, you can find it all on Tonia’s YouTube channel.
Craving a Vegan Big Mac? Try This Instead!
While we are waiting for the vegan Big Mac to be available worldwide, why not make these Big Mock Egg Rolls instead? They will give you that juicy Big Mac flavor in every bite. And the special dipping sauce brings more joy than you can imagine. Who doesn’t love to dip their food?
The recipe is quite simple, and there are three options for cooking up the stuffed egg rolls: the healthier air-fried way, the bake-in oven option, or the deliciously crispy pan-fried option. Whatever you choose, the outcome will still be delicious! The recipe is below, so you have no excuses not to try this. Unless for some reason you don’t like egg rolls or vegan Big Macs.
BIG-MOCK EGG ROLLS!
- 8 oz of vegan ground meat substitute. Tonia used Impossible Burger.
- 8 slices of vegan cheese or you can use shredded if you would like!
- 1 tsps garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste for the meat substitute
- 1/4 C dill pickle relish OR 2 diced pickles
- ½ small white onion-diced
- 8 vegan egg roll wrappers
- 1 tsps sesame seeds
- For the special dipping sauce:
- 4 Tbsp of vegan mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 ½ Tbsp dill or sweet relish
- 1 Tbsp yellow mustard
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- In a medium sized frying pan cook the ground beef until fully cooked, approximately 10 minutes. Drain the meat substitute of your choice. Season with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- To assemble the egg rolls place one slice of vegan cheese in the center. Top with 2-3 spoonful’s of vegan meat replacement of your choice, a few pieces of diced pickle and onion.
- Wet the edges of the vegan egg roll wrapper. Fold in two opposite corners to the center and then tightly roll. Repeat with remaining egg roll wrappers. paint on a small glaze of olive oil if desired and then cook.
- Mix all ingredients for the dipping sauce in a bowl and enjoy!
- Cook the Egg Rolls – 3 Methods for Cooking:
- AIR FRYER COOKING METHOD: Brush both sides of the egg rolls with oil and Air Fry at 400F for 5-10 minutes or until golden brown. Flip halfway through cooking and brush with more oil as needed. Once removed from the Air Fryer top with sesame seeds. STOVE TOP/DEEP FRYING COOKING METHOD: Heat a deep pot with oil on medium heat. Fry the egg rolls in small batches for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel lined plate and top with sesame seeds. OVEN COOKING METHOD: Brush the egg rolls with oil on both sides. Place directly on a sheet pan lined with tin foil OR on a sheet pan with a rack. Bake at 400F for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Flip halfway through cooking and brush with more oil as needed. Once removed from oven top with sesame seeds.
Who Needs The Vegan Big Mac When We Have Big Mock Egg Rolls!
Move over Mr. Vegan Big Mac, there is a new option in town. It’s creative, delicious, fun to make, and even comes with dipping sauce! Give these Big Mock Egg Rolls a try. I promise they won’t disappoint! Be sure to take a photo of your finished dish and tag @UnChained_TV on Instagram. Looking for other fun plant-based recipes to try? Hop on over to our recipe page, where we have a ton to choose from. Until next time…KEEP COOKIN’
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.