RECIPE: The Best Athlete Recovery Meal on the Planet
INGREDIENTS (serves 1 – 2 people)
- 3 c arugula
- 2 c organic edamame beans
- 1/2 c cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 Tbsp sliced almonds
- 1 c basmati brown rice, cooked or frozen & microwaved
- 1 Tbsp organic raw shelled hemp seeds, https://store.nutiva.com/hempseed/
- 2 Tbsp vegan cheese, shredded (https://followyourheart.com/vegan-cheese)
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) or grape seed oil
- 1 – 2 Tbsp rice vinegar, https://www.marukan-usa.com
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- garnish with a few fresh basil leaves
- Place all the ingredients into a salad bowl and gently toss until the olive oil and the rice vinegar is evenly distributed.
- Optional (garnish with fresh herbs, such as basil)
Ingredients for Dotsie Bausch’s Best Athlete Recovery Meal on the Planet
Dotsie Bausch with her favorite recovery meal. Don’t think this is just a “salad,” this complete meal has fruit (tomatoes); vegetables (leafy greens); legumes (edamame); grains (rice); seeds (hemp seeds); fat (olive oil, vegan cheese) and protein in every ingredient here!
Dotsie Bausch and her 3 rescue chihuahuas: (Lt to Rt): Lola, Minne and Yodi (Lola is blind)
Dotsie Bausch is a former world record holder, eight-time U.S. National Champion on the road and track, and cycling color commentator on television. Bausch was compelled to adopt a compassionate plant-based lifestyle after seeing an exposé about the routine cruelty of factory farming. Dotsie is the founder of Compassion Champs a non-profit organization focused on encouraging and informing athletes and weekend warriors alike that compassion can co-exist with their nutrition plan. Currently Compassion Champs is running a social media campaign called #Xmilk, that calls on all professional athletes to ditch their dairy sponsorships and turn to compassionate plant-based alternatives. Dotsie Bausch, the founder of Compassion Champs is working to connect the athletes who have decided to stand up against the dairy industry with plant-based milk companies.
Dotsie trained for and competed in the Olympics on a plant-based diet! Now retired from professional cycling, she speaks passionately around the world as the voice of farm animals, spreading her message about the numerous benefits – humane, nutritional and environmental – of plant-based eating as a lifestyle choice for athletes and non-athletes alike. Choose Veg selected Dotsie as one of “The 20 Badass Veg Women Who Are Making History.”
What's Your Reaction?
Jane Velez-Mitchell is an award-winning TV journalist and New York Times best-selling author. She is the founder of UnchainedTV and the host of several shows on the network.