A PLANTAIN RECIPE YOU’LL FALL IN LOVE WITH!
Get ready for OUTRAGEOUS Stuffed Plantain Cups (aka Tostone Rellenos)~Vegan Style! This is an incredible plantain recipe and a definite must-try! Traditional Stuffed Plantain Cups use shredded beef but are easily veganized. #LunchBreakLIVE guest Chef, Destiny DeJesus, creator of Eatyodestiny, shows us how to veganize them. Let’s see how it is done.
EAT YO DESTINY
Destiny DeJesus is a community organizer who currently resides in Las Vegas. She’s a plant-based activist who has dedicated her brand, Eat Yo Destiny, to educating people on how to be vegan on a budget. She does this by focusing on food accessibility and uses her platform to show people how to find vegan options in their community, use local resources such as pantries/community fridges, and also make nutritious meals using limited ingredients in her pantry. As a queer, womxn of color, Destiny focuses on educating people on veganism and shares her experience as a Latina who grew up in The Bronx. She is a full-time Social Media Manager, Coordinator for Veggie Mijas and creates content for vegan businesses and brands. Follow her on Instagram and learn more about how to budget cook at @eatyodestiny. Support her work on Ko-Fi (https://ko-fi.com/eatyodestiny) and see behind the scenes videos on how she meal plans, food shops + more. Her website is www.eatyodestiny.com.
A GOOD PLANTAIN RECIPE IS ALL YOU NEED!
Instead of using shredded beef, you can easily veganize this dish by using jackfruit or mushrooms. Destiny showed us how to make carnitas-style mushrooms using king oyster mushrooms and topping them with a fresh pico de gallo. This recipe is so delicious, simple, and affordable to make.
Stuffed Plantain Cups (aka Tostone Rellenos)
- 1 green plantain
- 1-2 cups oil of your choice to deep fry
- 1 king oyster mushroom
- 1 TBSP soy sauce
- 1 TBSP sesame oil
- ½ TSP black pepper
- 1 tomato
- 1 jalapeno
- 3 sprigs of cilantro
- ¼ of a red onion
- 1 TSP lime juice
- Garlic powder to taste
- Plantain Cups
- Cut off the ends of your green plantain and slice the skin to peel off.
- Chop plantain into 1 inch pieces and fry in oil of your choice until golden brown (5 mins).
- Remove plantains from oil and place them in a lemon/lime squeezer to smash and form cups.
- Place plantains back into oil face down and fry until crispy (2-3 mins).
- Remove, place on a napkin to soak up the oil and season with garlic powder.
- Carnita Style Mushroom Filling
- Chop off the top and bottom of a king oyster mushroom, slice in half, and use a fork to shred into strips.
- Add 1 TBSP of sesame oil to a pan on medium high and add oyster mushrooms.
- Let the mushrooms absorb all of the sesame oil. (They will look slimy but trust the process).
- Once they start to crisp up and brown, add 1 TBSP of soy sauce and ½ tsp of pepper.
- Stir until the mushrooms fully absorb all of the soy sauce.
- Pico de Gallo Topping
- Finely dice a tomato, jalapeno, cilantro and red onion and add about 1 TSP of lime juice.
- Take the plantain cups and fill them with the mushroom filling. Top with pico de gallo and serve!
WHAT A YUMMY LUNCH!
Thanks so much for joining us on this delicious episode of #LunchBreakLIVE. I hope you give this plantain recipe a try. If you do, be sure to take a photo of your finished dish and tag @JaneUnChainedNews on Instagram. Stop by the #LunchBreakLIVE page where we have a ton of other vegan recipes for you to try. Until next time…keep cookin’!
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.