A PLANTAIN RECIPE YOU’LL FALL IN LOVE WITH!
Get ready for OUTRAGEOUS Stuffed Plantain Cups (aka Tostone Rellenos)~Vegan Style! This is an incredible plantain recipe and a definite must-try! Traditional Stuffed Plantain Cups use shredded beef but are easily veganized. #LunchBreakLIVE guest Chef, Destiny DeJesus, creator of Eatyodestiny, shows us how to veganize them. Let’s see how it is done.
EAT YO DESTINY
Destiny DeJesus is a community organizer who currently resides in Las Vegas. She’s a plant-based activist who has dedicated her brand, Eat Yo Destiny, to educating people on how to be vegan on a budget. She does this by focusing on food accessibility and uses her platform to show people how to find vegan options in their community, use local resources such as pantries/community fridges, and also make nutritious meals using limited ingredients in her pantry. As a queer, womxn of color, Destiny focuses on educating people on veganism and shares her experience as a Latina who grew up in The Bronx. She is a full-time Social Media Manager, Coordinator for Veggie Mijas and creates content for vegan businesses and brands. Follow her on Instagram and learn more about how to budget cook at @eatyodestiny. Support her work on Ko-Fi (https://ko-fi.com/eatyodestiny) and see behind the scenes videos on how she meal plans, food shops + more. Her website is www.eatyodestiny.com.
A GOOD PLANTAIN RECIPE IS ALL YOU NEED!
Instead of using shredded beef, you can easily veganize this dish by using jackfruit or mushrooms. Destiny showed us how to make carnitas-style mushrooms using king oyster mushrooms and topping them with a fresh pico de gallo. This recipe is so delicious, simple, and affordable to make.
Stuffed Plantain Cups (aka Tostone Rellenos)
- 1 green plantain
- 1-2 cups oil of your choice to deep fry
- 1 king oyster mushroom
- 1 TBSP soy sauce
- 1 TBSP sesame oil
- ½ TSP black pepper
- 1 tomato
- 1 jalapeno
- 3 sprigs of cilantro
- ¼ of a red onion
- 1 TSP lime juice
- Garlic powder to taste
- Plantain Cups
- Cut off the ends of your green plantain and slice the skin to peel off.
- Chop plantain into 1 inch pieces and fry in oil of your choice until golden brown (5 mins).
- Remove plantains from oil and place them in a lemon/lime squeezer to smash and form cups.
- Place plantains back into oil face down and fry until crispy (2-3 mins).
- Remove, place on a napkin to soak up the oil and season with garlic powder.
- Carnita Style Mushroom Filling
- Chop off the top and bottom of a king oyster mushroom, slice in half, and use a fork to shred into strips.
- Add 1 TBSP of sesame oil to a pan on medium high and add oyster mushrooms.
- Let the mushrooms absorb all of the sesame oil. (They will look slimy but trust the process).
- Once they start to crisp up and brown, add 1 TBSP of soy sauce and ½ tsp of pepper.
- Stir until the mushrooms fully absorb all of the soy sauce.
- Pico de Gallo Topping
- Finely dice a tomato, jalapeno, cilantro and red onion and add about 1 TSP of lime juice.
- Take the plantain cups and fill them with the mushroom filling. Top with pico de gallo and serve!
WHAT A YUMMY LUNCH!
Thanks so much for joining us on this delicious episode of #LunchBreakLIVE. I hope you give this plantain recipe a try. If you do, be sure to take a photo of your finished dish and tag @JaneUnChainedNews on Instagram. Stop by the #LunchBreakLIVE page where we have a ton of other vegan recipes for you to try. Until next time…keep cookin’!
What's Your Reaction?
JaneUnChained graphic designer, behind-the-scenes problem solver, and IG contributor. Donna is a creative in the film industry, a passionate vegan, and promoter of a plant-based lifestyle. Known on social media as ThatSnarkyVeganGirl. Follow her on IG @ThatSnarkyVeganGirl