Sandra Sellani co-author of the award-winning 40-Year-Old Vegan Cookbook makes Grape and Feta Summer Slaw today on LunchBreakLIVE. Sandra explains that sometimes you may want to add a twist to a traditional dish. Susan Hosage, Sandra’s twin sister and co-author, describes this coleslaw as “a cool dish for a hot day.” Learn how versatile this dish can be as Sandra shows us how to serve it up at home!
Sandra always likes to make her own dressings because it’s quick, easy, and they just taste better. She uses plain Silk brand soy yogurt and Follow Your Heart veganaise to make the veganized classic coleslaw dressing in less than a minute! Then, Sandra adds the shredded green and purple cabbage, along with shredded carrots into her mixing bowl. She adds the crunchiest chopped grapes she can find. If you don’t have grapes, she says you can add chopped granny smith apples instead to get that fruity crunch as well! Sandra makes the salad “pop” with the flavor and creaminess of the Violife feta cheese. For even more crunch and flavor, she tops the slaw with roasted almonds. Sandra explains that this slaw can be used as a side or you can get creative and top a veggie dog or veggie burger with it. Talk about transforming the ordinary into the extraordinary! Sandra says you can make the coleslaw a main course by adding a few slices of tempeh or grilled tofu. Make your own refreshing summer coleslaw at home with Sandra’s recipe below!
Sandra Sellani reports for JaneUnchained News Network.
Photo courtesy of Sandra Sellani.
Grape and Feta Summer Slaw
- ¼ c. plain vegan yogurt, preferred brand Silk
- 1/8 c. vegan mayo preferred brand Veganaise
- ½ t. organic sugar
- ¼ t. dried mustard
- ¼ t. salt
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Dash fresh ground black pepper
- 1 c. shredded green cabbage
- 1 c. shredded purple cabbage
- ½ carrot, shredded
- ½ c. red grapes halved
- ½ package Violife brand vegan Feta cheese, cut into 1/8 cubes
- ¼ c. chopped roasted almonds
- ¼ c. chopped chives
- Mix vegan yogurt, vegan mayo, sugar, mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a bowl. Mix until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix green cabbage, purple cabbage, carrot grapes and feta with dressing until thoroughly coated.
- Top with nuts and chives and serve immediately.
- Options – serve on top of a vegan burger or vegan hot dog, serve as a side dish or top with grilled tofu or tempeh.
Makes 2-4 servings.
What's Your Reaction?