Elysabeth Alfano whips up protein-packed stuffed peppers on live TV, WGN-TV in Chicago!
Our own Silver Chic Chef, Elysabeth Alfano: Awesome Vegans Podcast & Video Series Host takes to WGN TV again to make another vegan recipe! STUFFED PEPPERS! Low cal, high fiber, high protein, and high TASTE – this is a recipe not to be missed.
- 4 red, yellow, or orange Peppers
- 1/2 medium white or yellow Onion
- 3 cloves of Garlic
- 4-5 oz cremini or baby bella Mushrooms
- 1/4 green Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of each: Cumin,Spanish Paprika, Oregano, Basil
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 2 dashes of Fennel Seeds
- 4-5 leaves of Mint optional
- 1 Can of Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon of Tomato Paste
- 5 TBSP Soy
- 1 packet Lightlife Tempeh
- Canola Oil or Mushroom Broth for sautéing
- Replace Tempeh, Mint, Soy and all spices with Beyond Meat, Lightlife Crumbles or Gardein if you are short on time.
Directions for Stuffed Peppers:
-Chop onion, peel and chop garlic, and place in hot pan with oil or broth.
-Add in green peppers and mushrooms. Keep sauteing until half cooked.
-Add in 1 can of diced tomatoes, 1 tablespoon tomato paste, salt, and pepper.
-In a separate LARGE hot pan with oil or mushroom broth, crumble the tempeh and season with soy, cumin, cayenne pepper (use less if you don’t like), Spanish paprika, oregano, basil. Stir together really well to make sure that tempeh is fully coated.
-Spoon in veggie-tomato mixture into pan with tempeh. Mix and add fennel and chopped mint.
-Core the peppers, but keep the top, cutting off the dangling seeds. Spoon in mixture to 4 peppers (maybe 3 if the peppers are large). Put the top back on.
-In a pre-heated oven at 350, bake for 25 minutes. Let sit for 5 with oven off. Take our an let sit again for 5. Serve!
-If you are going to a BBQ, you can fill the peppers and then cover entire pepper with tin foil and grill on top shelf of grill for 25 minutes and serve!
-Recipe doubles, triples, etc. easily.