MEMORIAL DAY RECIPES DURING A PANDEMIC
It’s Memorial Day weekend. But it feels very different than usual, due to the Covid-19 pandemic. We can’t freely go where we want, gather with friends, have large vegan cookouts, etc. However, the Coronavirus can’t stop us from cooking an amazing holiday meal for our family, and maybe even have a virtual BBQ with friends and distant family. Who knows. Be creative. Be inventive. We are here to help with the food part as Erin Riley-Carrasco shows us how to make one of her special Memorial Day recipes that is super easy and oh so tasty. These delicious Pineapple Teriyaki Tofu Kabobs will help normalize your holiday during this very unusual and unfamiliar time. It is a perfect Memorial Day meal!
A CREATIVE CHEF, EVEN DURING UNFAMILIAR TIMES
Erin Riley-Carrasco, Peta’s Sexiest Vegan Over 50 and Founder of ALMA Rescue, created the perfect recipe for grilling this Memorial Weekend! Vegan Memorial Day recipes can be loads of fun to make, even during a pandemic! Her recipe has Lots of fresh veggies: mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, and red onion paired with delicious fresh pineapple and extra firm tofu. She created a super tasty tropical homemade Teriyaki sauce that sets off these ingredients beautifully! She pairs the kabobs with a big batch of rice and added toasted Sesame seeds for extra crunch to make this dish a memorable one. These kabobs are delicious, nutritious, super colorful, and festive; perfect for family get-togethers or parties. But since we can’t do any gathering this year because of the Coronavirus, you can make these at home for your family or you can have a virtual party and have all the guests make the kabobs at home, virtually. Be creative!
Pineapple Teriyaki Tofu Kabobs
- 2 blocks extra firm tofu
- 1 fresh pineapple or two, 8 oz containers of fresh cubed pineapple
- 2 bell peppers I used orange and yellow
- 2 red onions
- 2 boxes mushrooms
- 2 boxes cherry tomatoes I purchased the multi-colored kind for a festive look
- black sesame seeds
- Pineapple-Teriyaki Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 cup coconut amino’s or low sodium tamarin or soy sauce
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 3/4 cup pineapple juice
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch or arrowroot to thicken sauce
- White rice
- To prepare Tofu: Drain and press water from tofu and then cut into 1 inch cubes. Make sure the cubes are big enough because if the cubes are too small, they will fall off the skewer. Note: I like my tofu very crispy and firm, so I cook them briefly in oil first and then I add them to the pan with the Pineapple Teriyaki Sauce and saute lightly, then put on the skewers and let them grille with the veggies.
- To make the Pineapple-Teriyaki Sauce: Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk. Place in pan over medium heat and mix until you bring to a boil for several minutes until sauce begins to thicken. For thickness, add more cornstarch. Remove from heat and set aside. Pour pineapple teriyaki sauce into a shallow dish/container. Note: Save some of the sauce for dipping or to brush on top of skewers on the grill.
- Add the tofu cubes into the shallow dish of Pineapple Teriyaki Sauce. Make sure the sauce covers all of the tofu. Marinate the tofu for a least one hour but preferably soak overnight!
- Cut up your fruit and vegetables - again, make sure they are big enough so they will not fall off the skewer. *If using wooden skewers, soak them in water overnight so they don’t burn on the grill.
- Assemble your Tofu skewers, threading the Tofu and pineapple and vegetables in alternating patterns.
- Place the kabobs on a hot grill or barbecue and brush with reserved Pineapple Teriyaki sauce. Flip the kabobs over once they are grilled on the bottom. I like mine a little charred on the edges! Once both sides are browned with grill marks, transfer the kabobs to a plate. Let cool then remove the Tofu, pineapple and vegetables onto a bed of white rice and sprinkle with some black Sesame seeds for added crunch. Pair with a small side dish of the Pineapple Teriyaki Sauce. Enjoy!
GET CREATIVE WITH YOUR MEMORIAL DAY RECIPES AND CELEBRATION.
Plan a virtual party or just have a feast with the immediate family you live with. There are many Memorial Day recipes to choose from, but we think these kebobs are worth a try. So cook them up and let us know how you liked them. if you are in search of other delicious recipes by Erin, be sure to stop by the #SaturdaySnackDown page, where we have a ton to choose from. Until next time…keep cookin’!
What's Your Reaction?
JaneUnChained graphic designer, behind-the-scenes problem solver, and IG contributor. Donna is a creative in the film industry, a passionate vegan, and promoter of a plant-based lifestyle. Known on social media as ThatSnarkyVeganGirl. Follow her on IG @ThatSnarkyVeganGirl