This Patty Melt Recipe Will Make Your Heart Sing…
and your taste buds blow up with flavor! It has an Italian flare that will remind you of your times spent in Italy or will get you excited for a future trip. Chef Marlon Rison, A.K.A PlantBased G, joins us on #LunchBreakLIVE with this amazing plant-based Patty Melt recipe! Marlon is a regular chef on our show and we love him. He recently cooked another Italian Plant-based recipe for us that was delicious. Stuffed Pasta Shells! You can find that recipe HERE. But for now, let’s get back to today’s show and watch the magic happen in the kitchen!
I Bet You Want A Patty Melt Right Now After Watching That!
Yeah, so do I! I look forward to making this at home. It looks pretty easy to make and definitely looks tasty! Marlon always cooks the best dishes! Creative and full of flavor. This Patty Melt recipe I suspect will become one of my favorites. But another favorite of mine was his Tex Mex Casserole. Wow was that yummy. Be sure to check out that show HERE. And the recipe for today’s patty melt is below so be sure to give it a try and let us know how you liked it!
We Know That Marlon Is a Terrific Chef!
But let’s learn a little more about him and his passions…
Marlon Rison, PlantbasedG, transitioned to a vegan lifestyle during the summer of 2017 in an effort to improve his health, but he quickly grew to appreciate the compassion for animals. After losing over 150 lbs, and equipped with an open mind, he was led to seek out like-minded people at live events and through social media. His world changed as a result.
Through these interactions, opportunities arose that include speaking engagements, in-person cooking, and live streaming, special focus interviews, and even recognition from VegNews Magazine as one of the “Black Vegans” you need to follow on Instagram.
Marlon’s most recent venture is the compilation of his first cookbook—Quarantine 15. A collection of 15 (plus one bonus) curated vegan recipes to comfort the soul and nourish the body. Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, the cookbook will be available for download on Shopify. Also available are some cool swag, including t-shirts and caps.
Marlon’s greatest passion is to be a change agent, providing a living breathing example of what can be done if you treat yourself like you love yourself—beginning with what you feed your body.
He is a super inspiring man, with more than just cooking talents. If you want to try out your own skills in the kitchen, using Marlon’s Patty Melt recipe, here it is for you:
Patty Melt (Italian and Vegan)
- 12 oz baby bella mushrooms ground or diced in food processor
- ½ cup of cooked lentils drained
- ½ cup of yellow onions
- 1/8 cup of sliced red bell pepper
- ¼ cup of bread crumbs
- 1 medium size diced jalepeno
- 1 tbsp onion salt
- 1 tbsp garlic salt
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 6-8 large basil leaves
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp of an Italian spice/herbs mix that includes oregano, thyme and rosemary
- 1 tbsp garlic oil
- Credo spicy queso
- 2 tbsp of plant-based milk
- 1 cup of organic marinara
- Large sandwich size bread
- 1 tbsp of minced garlic
- 2 tbsp of avocado oil
- Red pepper flakes
- Ok, since we are making homemade patties, we need to start the day before or early day of. Let’s put the patty mix together. In a large bowl, pour in the following contents: ground mushrooms, lentils, ¼ cup of onions, bell pepper, bread crumbs, jalepeno, onion & garlic salts, smoked paprika, 4 chopped basil leaves, black pepper, garlic oil and Italian herbs. Mix well, cover and allow to sit in the fridge overnight. The flavor will be BANG, BANG!
- Game time! Heat skillet on the stovetop at medium-high. Add a light amount of avocado oil to cover the bottom. Once heated, remove patty concoction from fridge, roll into a medium size ball, flatten out to patty and place in skillet. Cover and cook patties for 5-6 minutes on each side. Don’t flip patty until crisp on the bottom. Once done set aside.
- Time to make the vegan cheeze cheezier! Heat stovetop burner on medium and put on a small pot. Add about 1 tsp of avocado oil, the Credo queso and 2 tbsp of plant-based milk. Stir well…this should get creamy within a few minutes. Cheeze ready!
- Ready for the finisher? Before we layer the sandwich, turn stovetop burner on medium-high, add vegan butter, garlic and about 1 tbsp of avocado oil. Flavor! This is gonna make the melt special!
- Layering…bottom bread slice, shroom patty, marinara to cover the patty, extra onions, a few basil leaves, the cheeze drip (enough to cover patty) then the top slice of bread. Place sandwich in skillet and brown both sides to your liking. I know you can smell it.
- Done! Remove and enjoy! Use the extra marinara for sandwich dipping!
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.