Yes, You Can Have Vegan Fish!
Vegan fish, all the flavor of the sea, without any cruelty! On today’s #LunchBreakLIVE, Marlon Rison joins us again with one of his incredible and creative vegan recipes. Many people think if you are vegan you can’t enjoy the flavors and textures of “fish.” However, that just isn’t true. As the saying goes…anything you can have, we can have vegan! So let’s check out how Marlon made this fabulous and tasty fish (less) filet. He turned it into a dripping in goodness sandwich!
Chef Marlon, Vegan Fish Master…Among Other Things!
Marlon Rison, a.k.a. PlantbasedG, transitioned to a vegan lifestyle during the summer of 2017 in an effort to improve his health, but he quickly grew to appreciate his compassion for animals and all that comes with a vegan lifestyle. His open-minded personality led him to seek out like-minded people at live events and through social media. And his world changed as a result.
Through these interactions, opportunities began to surface for him such as speaking engagements, in-person and live-streamed, special focus interviews, and even recognition from VegNews as one of the “Black Vegans” you need to follow on Instagram.
Marlon’s most recent venture was the compilation of his first cookbook—The Quarantine 15. A collection of 15 (plus one bonus) curated vegan recipes to comfort the soul and nourish the body. Make sure to be on the lookout for his next book featuring mushrooms!!!
Marlon’s greatest passion is to be a change agent, providing a living breathing example of what can be done if you treat yourself with love—beginning with what you feed your body.
We love Marlon! Every time he is on the show there is pure magic in the kitchen. He clearly has a passion for vegan cooking, and he is good at it! Let’s check out how his vegan fish (less) filets turned out.
It’s Time To Get Cookin’!
I don’t know about you but I am ready to cook up these delicious vegan fish filets. They look so crispy and yummy, drenched in tartar sauce and packed between bread. It has a crunchy crisp texture with every bite! Do you want to try and make this at home? Well, you are in luck cause I am providing the recipe below. So be sure to give it a try. And, if you are looking for more great vegan recipes, we have plenty to choose from so have a look. I am off to the store now to buy the ingredients for this recipe. I am for sure making this tonight! until next time…keep cookin’!
VEGAN FISH (LESS) FILET SANDWICH
- 16 oz of firm tofu
- 2 cups of unsweetened plant-based milk
- 2 vegan eggs any egg sub works
- 2 tbsp of veggie broth
- 3 tbsp of Zatarain’s shrimp & crab boil it’s vegan
- 2 tbsp of pickle juice
- 4 cups of flour
- 2 cups of breadcrumbs
- 6 large seaweed/nori strips
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp of Zatarain’s bay seasoning
- 1 tbsp of seaweed salt
- 1 tsp of pepper
- 3 tbsp of vegan mayo
- 3 tbsp of sweet relish
- 2 large pickles diced
- 2 tbsp of onion diced
- Lemon juice
- Grapeseed Oil
- Let’s go!!! Step one…in order to get the tofu texture the way we like, we’ll freeze overnight (or 6-8 hours min). Freezing will allow for the air pockets to crystalize (ice) which will help remove all of the excess water after thawing.
- After the tofu has thawed out, press out all of the excess water.
- Slice the tofu into good size squares that are perfect for your fish(less) filet.
- Time to preheat the skillet. Turn stovetop to medium and add 2-3 inches of grapeseed oil and allow to heat.
- Batter time…in 3 separate dishes, place 2 cups of rice in dish #1, vegan egg, plantbased milk, bay concentrate, veggie broth & 1 tsp of pickle juice mixed well together in dish #2 and 2 cups of flour sifted well with spices (garlic powder, onion powder, bay seasoning, seaweed salt & pepper) in dish #3.
- Wet seaweed strips and place on the tofu squares (evenly distributed). If squares are large feel free to add more seaweed strips to cover one side.
- Dip tofu in dry batter, wet batter then breadcrumb batter coating both sides with all three. Make sure it’s completely covered then place in oil. Cook until 5-6 minutes on both sides or until a golden brown color that makes your heart happy. Remove and allow cooling.
- Tartar sauce time. I make mine easy and tasty. In a large bowl mix 3 tbsp of vegan mayo, 3 tbsp of sweet relish, a handful of diced pickles, 2 tbsp of diced onions, 1 tsp of pickle juice, 1 tsp of lemon juice and ½ tsp of shrimp & crab boil. Mix well together and allow to refrigerate for minimum of 15 minutes (longer is better).
- Make a sandwich or eat a fish(less) square with tartar by itself. Either way, enjoy a seafood meal without the animal based seafood!
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.