Day 9 Of The 21 Day vegan Kickstart
For Day 9 of the 21 day vegan kickstart, we have a treat because there are 3 recipes being shared for. One for breakfast, lunch, and a dessert. I am sooooo excited! Our guest Chefs for day 9 were Marc and Kim Ramirez, Co-Founders of the nonprofit, Chickpea and Bean, Inc. They are so awesome in the kitchen, and both have an incredible amount of plant-based knowledge. We’re very excited they joined us and demonstrated how to make Berry Overnight Oats, Sweet Potatoe and Black Bean Burritos, and Mango Lime Sorbet. What a treat!
Let’s Meet Our Chefs
Marc and Kim Ramirez are cofounders of the nonprofit Chickpea and Bean Inc. Marc is a former University of Michigan football player who tackled chronic disease by adopting a vegan lifestyle. With help from his wife, Kim, he eliminated type 2 diabetes medications, including insulin shots, as well as high cholesterol and high blood pressure medicines. By conquering these devastating health issues, the well-being of their entire family improved. They no longer felt like victims of heartbreaking complications associated with diabetes and became thrilled about the years to come.
Marc and Kim felt so empowered with the results they wanted to help others benefit from a plant-based lifestyle, so they formed Chickpea and Bean. They offer free and low-cost events focusing on helping underserved communities and minorities. Marc is a TEDx speaker and both are certified Food for Life Instructors through the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine and offer classes, presentations, online Plant Plunges, personal coaching, employee wellness programs, and more.
Marc and Kim are also committed to educating people in health care about the power of eating plants and avoiding animal products. They regularly hold events at medical facilities and lead medical students through 21 Day Vegan Kickstart programs so future doctors can gain personal experience about the power of eating plants and promote it to their patients.
Together Marc and Kim have helped thousands of people transition to a vegan lifestyle. To join an online class or participate in an event, check out chickpeaandbean.com and follow them on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at ChickpeaandBean.
21 Day Vegan Kickstart Day 9: Recipe 1
Let’s first talk about the Overnight Berry Oats that Kim and Marc made for us. Overnight Oats are the best because they are so simple to throw together, and you wake up to a ready breakfast…all you have to do is eat it. You can add whatever fruit you enjoy the most. I often use bananas and mixed berries in mine. Oh yeah and I add cinnamon for sure. So healthy and so yummy.
Berry Overnight Oats
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup raspberries or mixed berries such as blueberries, strawberries, and blackberries
- 1 cup + 1-2 Tbsp. low-fat non-dairy milk plus more for serving, if desired
- ½ tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp coconut nectar or pure maple syrup
- pinch of sea salt to taste
- In a bowl or large jar, combine the oats, berries, non-dairy milk, chia seeds, nectar or syrup, and salt.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight (or for at least several hours).
- Serve with more milk to thin, if desired, and also try some additional add-ins (see Note).
- Note: when serving, you can add other toppings, including more berries, sliced ripe banana, a sprinkle of cocoa nibs, or 1 to 2 tablespoons of hemp or pumpkin seeds.
21 Day Vegan Kickstart: Recipe 2
Now let’s talk about the lunch recipe made for this episode of the 21 day vegan kickstart. A Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burrito, oh my! Burritos are awesome meals because they are super filling, and oh so delicious. Top it with some salsa Fresca and BAM, you’ve got perfection in every bite. I don’t think I have ever had potatoes in a burrito, besides a breakfast burrito. So sweet potatoes combined with black beans sounds like a unique and definitely tasty combo. Both ingredients are very healthy, jam-packed with high fiber and nutrients. This is a lunch that is sure to keep you full for quite some time.
Sweet potatoes & Black Bean Burritos with Salsa Fresca
- 1 ½ pounds sweet potatoes peeled and cut into bite-size chunks
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 cup canned black beans
- ½ jalapeño seeded and chopped
- 3 scallions sliced
- juice of one lime
- sea salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 whole-wheat tortillas 8-inch
- 2 cups grape tomatoes cut
- ½ jalapeño seeded and chopped
- 2 tbsp red onion finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients for salsa fresca (ingredients 13-20) and set aside.
- Place sweet potatoes in a medium pot and add water to cover. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 6 to 8 minutes, until sweet potatoes are tender. Drain and set aside.
- Heat broth, thyme, chili powder, and cumin in a skillet over medium heat. Simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add cooked sweet potato, black beans, and jalapeño. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring carefully. Stir in scallions, lime juice, salt, and black pepper.
- Warm tortillas by placing them one by one in a dry skillet over medium heat, turning once, for a total of about 1 to 2 minutes per side. Divide sweet potato mixture evenly over all tortillas and top with about 1/2 cup salsa. Roll tortillas tightly. Serve.
21 Day Vegan Kickstart: Recipe 3
Last but not least, we have a delicious dessert. The Mango and Lime sorbet. This little dessert is packed with flavor and very little guilt. It is made with fresh mangoes, no added sugar, and a lotta love. It is far healthier than any ice cream or traditional sugar-loaded sorbet, so you can feel good about every bite.
Mango Lime Sorbet
- 2 cups pureed partially frozen mango
- ½ cup agave nectar
- juice of 2 limes
- This recipe works best if the mango is frozen, and then allowed to thaw for about 15 minutes. Once it has partially thawed, puree the mango along with the agave and lime juice. Pour the puree into a shallow glass or metal bowl and then place it in the freezer.
- After 30 minutes, stir the puree, then repeat every 15 minutes thereafter until you are ready to serve.
Thank You For Joining Us For Day 9
This was such a fun day for the 21 day vegan kickstart, with 3 delicious recipes. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. And if you want to sign up and join in on the fun you can do so HERE. If you are looking for other delicious and easy vegan recipes to cook up be sure to check out the #LunchBreakLIVE page, we have plenty to choose from. Until next time…keep cookin’!
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.