A Spicy Lentil Soup Perfect For Cold Weather Days
A colorful & delicious spicy Lentil Soup was shared with us on this episode of #LunchBreakLIVE! Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine’s Food For Life Instructor Sapna Von Reich, who teaches PCRM’s Food for Life classes in Northern Colorado, joins us in the kitchen. This show was in collaboration with PCRM, as they launched their One Healthy World Program on January 13th. This free program, offered in English, French, Spanish, and Mandarin, is designed to revolutionize your health in six sessions, all free and on-demand. “We are ready when you are.”
Let’s take a look at how to make this effortless winter soup…
Join One Healthy World For A Kickstart To The New Year
Are you looking for a way to approach diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, or other health challenges with nutrition? Look no further—support is just a click away.
One Healthy World brings the world’s leading experts to you, to help you adjust your eating habits with easy tips and support every step of the way.
Each one-hour online session provides nutrition information, guidance on the best food choices, lots of support, delicious recipes, tips for dining at restaurants, and even simple cooking demonstrations. Join live on Zoom every Thursday and be part of the discussion, or participate on demand when the time is right for you. It’s fun. It’s free. Sign up on PCRM.org/onehealthyworld
Our Guest Chef Of The Day
Sapna Von Reich is a Food for Life Instructor for the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine. She holds a certification in plant-based nutrition from the Center for Nutrition Studies at eCornell. She is a lifestyle health coach and well-known plant-based food educator in Northern Colorado. She enjoys teaching nutrition and cooking for all ages. She also offers one-on-one consultations and private cooking classes.
Sapna is working to integrate fresh, healthy, and inspired cuisine into the lives of all her students and clients. She believes that good food doesn’t need to be complicated and has made it her mission to help others balance health and lifestyle. For more info visit her website.
How Easy Is It To Make This Spicy Lentil Soup?
Chef Sapna says, “It takes almost no work to make this colorful and delicious lentil soup. After a little bit of sautéing, all you have to do is dump all your ingredients into a slow cooker and walk away. When you return, you’ll find a hearty soup ready to be enjoyed. Join us and learn how to free up your day without sacrificing any flavor.” So yes, this soup is super easy to make and takes very little effort.
Spicy Lentil Soup
- ¼ tsp brown mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ of a medium red/yellow onion diced small
- salt to taste about ½ tsp
- ¼ green bell pepper diced small
- ¼ red bell pepper diced small
- ¼ yellow bell pepper diced small
- ¼ orange bell pepper diced small
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ½ -1 serrano pepper minced
- 3 roma tomatoes diced small
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp coriander
- ¼-1/2 Indian red chili powder or a pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1-2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- 1-2 tsp lemon or lime juice
- To the slow cooker:
- sautéed vegetables
- 1 cup green lentils rinsed
- 4 cups very hot water
- Heat a skillet, add mustard seeds, when mustard seeds start to pop/crack add cumin seeds cooked 20 seconds quickly add onion and salt. Cook for 2 minutes then add peppers, ginger, garlic, and serrano pepper. Cook stirring occasionally for 2 minutes add tomatoes, turmeric, garam masala, coriander, red chili powder and black pepper cook for 4-5 minutes.
- In the slow cooker, add the above sautéed vegetables, lentils and boiling hot water, stir to combine well. Cook on high for 3½ hours or on low for 6-7 hours. If you like the consistency of the soup after cooking, then the soup is ready to be served. If the soup is too soupy you could use an immersion blender or regular blender to blend about 1/8th of the soup this will help thicken the soup. Stir in cilantro and lime or lemon juice to taste.
Spicy Lentil Soup For The Winter
A good hearty soup is perfection in the winter months, and this spicy Lentil Soup looks amazing! Go ahead and give it a try and let us know how you liked it. Take a photo of your finished meal and tag @UnChained_TV on Instagram. Also, be sure to download the UnChained TV APP, a new FREE vegan streaming network you will love! There are lots of cooking shows, documentaries, films, talk shows, and so much more. Until next time…keep cookin’.
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.