This is No Ordinary Coconut Curry
Santa Monica, Ca, December 1, 2022, 1:30 p.m. PT
It’s coconut curry time on ‘Plant Based in the Burbs.” But this is not your usual coconut curry. Sherri Sheree jam-packs her recipe with sweet potatoes, chickpeas, and spinach, which will bring you so much happiness in every bite. Paige and Sherri, hosts of PBNB create delicious, easy recipes for the whole family. Watch more PBNB shows on UnchainedTV, our FREE streaming network. Don’t forget to Download the APP now.
Let’s get crazy in the kitchen and find out how this Coconut Curry will bring happiness to you and anyone who tries it. Sherri throws this delicious meal together in no time at all, complete with smiles, love, fun, and lots of nutrients.
Plant-Based In The Burbs Hosts and Chefs
Sherri Johnson is an entrepreneur, personal trainer, mother, wife, and lifelong lover of cooking. As a child, she watched her grandmother make magic in the kitchen, which solidified a loving and personal connection to food. Eventually, Sherri discovered a passion for healthy living and veganism. She learned that plant-based eating was not only conducive to a healthy mind and body, but also a compassionate approach to healing the planet and caring for its animals. Through Plant-Based in the Burbs on UnchainedTV, Sherri shares her techniques for creating “veganized” versions of your favorite meals. With her friendly approach and infectious charm, she demonstrates that veganism is not only healthy but easily accessible to everyone. Through this platform, Sherri hopes to encourage others to explore the lifestyle that has completely changed her for the better. Sherri is deeply passionate about helping others step into the highest version of themselves. By sharing her expertise as a personal trainer and advocate for veganism, she helps clients and viewers create the body and lifestyle of their dreams. In addition to physical fitness and delicious food, Sheri plans on launching an activewear brand called W29 that promises to serve as a force to uplift and inspire women.
Celebrating being vegan for 7 years, Paige Parsons Roache has been committed to bringing ECO-VEGANISM to the forefront of every interaction: Environmentally conscious vegan living. After watching the documentary COWSPIRACY, she went vegan on the spot. Her daughter Katelyn, 13 at the time, chose veganism for the animals 6 months earlier. Paige, on the other hand, after being shocked by the environmental impact of eating meat and dairy, chose to go vegan “for the environment.” Soon after, she attended her first pig vigil with LA Animal Save/Animal Save Movement. Once she looked those baby pigs in the eyes, she knew why her daughter had gone vegan.Cooking as a guest chef on LunchBreakLIVE after meeting Jane Velez-Mitchell at VegFestLA, and inspired by Jane’s bold courage, Paige became a Contributor for UnChainedTV. Reporting on all the latest animal rights news. She also became the Senior Booker for UnChainedTV. Now, the Communications Director of UnchainedTV’s streaming network, and co-producer/co-host of the Plant-Based In the ‘Burbs show, Paige brings inspiration, humor, and humbleness to the kitchen, showing simple swap-outs and easy recipes to inspire people to bring more plants to their plates.
If You Love Coconut Curry, Read On…
Coconut curry is special because it is a dish loved by many, it is generally simple to make, and you can turn it into your own favorite meal based on the ingredients you choose to use. Sherri made her curry with a few different powerful ingredients that one might not think of putting together. Sweet potatoes, chickpeas, and spinach! It turns out to be an amazing combo for a coconut curry dish. Add in all the right spices and additional flavorful ingredients and your tastebuds will be dancing. Ingredients like ginger, fresh onion, and cumin seeds are examples of the flavors you will experience.
Sweet Potato, Chickpea and Spinach Coconut Curry
- 4 teaspoons virgin coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 medium onion finely chopped ( 2 cups)
- 3 large cloves garlic minced
- 4 teaspoons grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 red pepper flakes
- 1 14 oz medium/large sweet potato peeled & cut into 1/4 to 1/2 inch dice ( about 3 cups)
- 1 can dice tomatoes with juices
- 1 14 oz can coconut milk
- 1 14 oz can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 5 oz package of spinach
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat until the oil is hot enough when a cumin seed sizzles when tossed into the pan. Add the cumin seeds and toast for about a minute, until fragrant and lightly darkened color but not burnt. Add onions and stir , season with a pinch of salt. Cook onions until translucent and soft for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add garlic ginger, turmeric, coriander, and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine for a couples of minutes, until garlic is soft.
- Add the sweet potato, chickpeas, tomatoes with their juices, and coconut milk. Stir to combine, cover and simmer over medium heat for 20 to 30 minutes , until potatoes are fork tender. Mash one-third of the mixture to thicken the sauce but this is your choice.
- Stir in the spinach and cook until wilted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over cooked grains of your choice, garnished with cilantro and unsweetened coconut. Add lime wedges for squeezing over curry.
- Have all ingredients prepped before starting the recipe because it moves quickly. Keep ingredients separate. Chop sweet potato very small they will cook much faster.
Thanks For Finding Coconut Curry Happines With Us
I hope you enjoyed this episode of PBNB where we learned how to make Sherri’s delicious sweet potato, chickpeas, and spinach coconut curry. It’s a mouthful to say, but it also packs a mouthful of tastiness in every bit. Go ahead and give it a try and let us know how much you enjoyed it. Be sure to take a photo of your finished dish and tag @UnChainedTV on Instagram. Looking for other simple plant-based recipes to try? Hop on over to our recipe page where we have a ton to choose from. Until next time…
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.