21 Day Vegan Kickstart Day 11
It’s day 11 of the 21 day vegan kickstart and we have two more exceptional recipes for you. The guest Chef for day 11 was Chernice Benjamin and she cooked Tempeh Sloppy Joes and a Pear and Cucumber dish. I am especially excited to see how the Tempeh Sloppy Joe turned out. That sounds amazing.
Let’s Meet Our Chef
Chernice Benjamin has been a Food for Life instructor (FFL) with Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine since 2015. Following the death of her mother, Chernice attended a “Forks Over Knives” event hosted by FFL Instructor, Heather Borders, MBA, RD, LD/N. Chernice was inspired to enroll in Food for Life classes where she learned how a whole food, plant-based dietary lifestyle could prevent and reverse most chronic illnesses. This inspired Chernice to become a Food for Life instructor and share her knowledge at universities, local churches, health and wellness centers, and at VegFest events.
21 Day Vegan Kickstart Day 11: Recipe 1
First up is the amazing Tempeh Sloppy Joe that Chernice made for day 11 of the 21 day vegan kickstart. Tempeh is a fermented soy product and is a great source of fiber and protein. I love tempeh and eat it often, but I have never had a Tempeh Sloppy Joe! Let’s see how it turned out.
Tempeh Sloppy Joes
- 1 cup water divided
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 green bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 8-ounce package tempeh crumbled into small pieces
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 multigrain hamburger buns
- Heat 1/2 cup water in skillet. Add onion and bell pepper and sauté until cooked through.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup water and tempeh. Sauté for 5 to 7 minutes, allowing the tempeh to get well-done.
- Add tomato sauce, ketchup, agave nectar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and garlic powder and cook for 15 minutes
- Serve on buns.
21 Day vegan Kickstart: Recipe 2
Recipe 2 is a simple dish that consists simply of cut-up pears and cucumbers. Cucumbers have high water content and pears have high fiber content, so combined they are a filling snack. You can eat as much as you want until you are satisfied, with no guilt!
Pear and Cucumber Slices
- 1 medium pear
- 1 cup cucumber slices
- Prepare the pear and cucumber as you like and arrange on a plate or in a bowl for a refreshing dessert, snack or salad dish.
Thank You For Joining Day 11
Thanks so much for joining us for day 11 of our journey towards health. We have been having so much fun cooking up PCRM’s easy vegan recipes in the 21 day program. If you are looking for other vegan recipes to cook up be sure to check out the #LunchBreakLIVE page, there are plenty to choose from. Until next time…keep cookin’!
What's Your Reaction?
JaneUnChained graphic designer, behind-the-scenes problem solver, and IG contributor. Donna is a creative in the film industry, a passionate vegan, and promoter of a plant-based lifestyle. Known on social media as ThatSnarkyVeganGirl. Follow her on IG @ThatSnarkyVeganGirl