RECIPE: The Eggiest Tofu Scramble, serves 4
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 small red onion, chopped
- 1/2 carrot, shredded
- 1/2 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 16oz. packet medium firm tofu
- 1/4 cup garbanzo bean flour
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon black salt, optional
- black pepper
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon Earth Balance buttery spread
- Heat the pan to medium high. Add the oil and saute the vegetables in the order listed until they are soft and brown at the edges.
- Drain the tofu well and break into small curds by hand. Add the tofu to the pan and keep sautéing for about 3-5 minutes.
- Mix the garbanzo bean flour, water and turmeric into a thin batter and add to the pan. Cook, stirring, until batter turns thick. About 2 minutes.
- Add black salt, pepper and nutritional yeast. Adjust to taste.
- Just before serving, mix in buttery spread for extra creaminess.
This is a very customizable scramble. Add more veggies and some curry powder for a sturdy garden scramble. Omit the veggies, add more buttery spread and some truffle oil for a decadently creamy classic scramble. Adjust the amount of water for a thicker or looser scramble.
Eggiest Tofu Scramble…..without the Eggs!
Angelica Oung with her Eggiest Tofu Scramble…..without the Eggs!