This Vegan Mexican Food Is Delightful!
I am a sucker for vegan Mexican food. I love it. It is my favorite kind of food! So I was super excited to hear that Michelle May would be making Tostadas with Quinoa Chorizo & Chipotle Crema on #SaturdaySnackDown! This dish looks beautiful and delicious! Let’s check out how she created such a stunning and tasty dish.
She’s Not Just Good At Creating Good Vegan Mexican Food!
Michelle May, is President & Founder of Seva Foods. With a lifelong love for food, Michelle is passionate about helping improve the lives of individuals and the health of the planet through the way we eat. She is a graduate of culinary and nutrition programs at Matthew Kenney Culinary and is also certified in Plant-Based Nutrition through Cornell University. Having worked for over a decade in tech, as a web developer and graphic designer, Michelle transitioned to the wellness industry in 2015. Prior to founding Seva Foods in 2017, she was a recipe developer and provided community cooking classes, nutrition workshops, and private chef services. In addition to being a nutrition geek and plant-based chef, Michelle is also a longtime yogi, animal rights activist, dog mom, vegan community organizer, and founder of Benjii’s Canine Cuisine.
Time to Eat!
I am always looking for an excuse to eat a delicious plate filled with good vegan Mexican food. Why? because it is the tastiest! And these Tostadas with Quinoa Chorizo & Chipotle Crema don’t look like they would disappoint! Creamy and delicious with just the right amount of crunch in every bite!
Bite Sized Vegan Mexican Food Extragavanza!
I love this dish because the tostadas can be made into cute little bite-sized pieces. Great for parties or gatherings. Tostadas are awesome because they’re easy to make and taste indulgent, but with the right ingredients, you can transform them into a simple and nutritious meal for any day of the week. Below is the recipe, I hope you will give these a try!
Vegan Mexican Food- Tostadas with Quinoa Chorizo & Chipotle Crema
- 4 tortillas
- 1 cup refried beans
- 1 cup vegan cheddar cheese shreds
- For The Quinoa Chorizo:
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- For The Chipotle Crema:
- 1 cup of raw cashews
- 1 - 1 ½ cups filtered water
- 1 - 2 tablespoons chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- Optional Garnishes
- Finely chopped lettuce
- Pico de gallo
- Chopped Cilantro
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Transfer refried beans to a small pot and allow to warm up over low heat.
- Add coconut oil to a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add cooked quinoa and allow to brown, approximately 5 minutes, Stir well and repeat.
- Add remaining Quinoa Chorizo ingredients and continue to cook for 3 more minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Toast tortillas for 3 - 5 minutes in oven, until crisp.
- Spread a layer of refried beans on each toasted tortilla, followed by a layer of Quinoa Chorizo, and top with vegan cheddar cheese shreds.
- Bake for 5 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Finish with Chipotle Crema and optional garnishes.
- To make Chipotle Crema:
- Soak cashews in very hot water for 30 minutes.
- Drain water and transfer soaked cashews to a high-speed blender.
- Add filtered water, ½ a cup at a time until completely smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend.
- Transfer to a container and refrigerate.
circles before toasting.
Thank You For Joining Us!
Thanks for stopping by and joining us for another episode of #SaturdaySnackDown. Be sure to check out some of the many other recipes available from previous shows. You won’t be disappointed, the recipes are incredible! Until next time…
What's Your Reaction?
JaneUnChained graphic designer, behind-the-scenes problem solver, and IG contributor. Donna is a creative in the film industry, a passionate vegan, and promoter of a plant-based lifestyle. Known on social media as ThatSnarkyVeganGirl. Follow her on IG @ThatSnarkyVeganGirl