Meatless Meatballs On #LunchBreakLIVE
Meatless Meatballs are a thing. A very delicious thing! Today’s recipe has a little bit of everything we all need….a healthy option, great taste, beautiful colors, and positive vegan vibes! Marlon Rison, a.k.a Plant-Based G, joins us again with one of his incredible recipes! He is showing us how to make Shroom “Neatballs” and Zucchini Strings! Oh Yes!
Who Is This Magnificent Chef?
Marlon is a regular on #LunchBreakLIVE, so we know he is a magician in the kitchen, but there is more…
Marlon Rison, PlantbasedG, transitioned to a vegan lifestyle during the summer of 2017 in an effort to improve his health, but he quickly grew to appreciate the compassion for animals. After losing over 150 lbs, and equipped with an open mind, he was led to seek out like-minded people at live events and through social media. His world changed as a result.
Through these interactions, opportunities arose that include speaking engagements, in-person cooking, and live streaming, special focus interviews, and even recognition from VegNews Magazine as one of the “Black Vegans” you need to follow on Instagram.
Marlon’s most recent venture is the compilation of his first cookbook—Quarantine 15. A collection of 15 (plus one bonus) curated vegan recipes to comfort the soul and nourish the body. Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, the cookbook will be available for download on Shopify. Also available are some cool swag, including t-shirts and caps.
Marlon’s greatest passion is to be a change agent, providing a living breathing example of what can be done if you treat yourself like you love yourself—beginning with what you feed your body.
What an inspiration he is! I just love him. And I love his food! He recently showed us how to make a bangin’ Gyro that was explosive in flavor! You should definitely check out that show too. But for today, let’s check out the Meatless Meatballs Marlon whipped up today using mushrooms!
Craving Some Meatless Meatballs Now?
I don’t blame you. After watching Marlon cook up these vegan meatless meatballs I am starving, and I want some NOW. Don’t fret, the recipe is below so you can go ahead and make this dish for yourself at home. And I hope you do, I don’t think you will regret it.
Meatless Meatballs: Shroom Neatballs & Stringed Zucchini
- 12 oz of organic white mushrooms
- 3 tbsp of cooked lintels
- ½ medium bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno
- 3 garlic cloves
- ½ medium onion
- 1/8 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp Italian herbs/seasoning
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp of corn starch
- 1 flax egg
- ½ cup of breadcrumbs for Neatball coating
- 3 medium-size zucchini string
- 14.5 oz 1 can of roasted tomatoes
- 16 oz of marinara
- A handful of diced hatch chili’s
- Vegan mozzarella shreds
- Olive oil
- Let’s get our Neatballs together. This process will take a couple of hours in order to work out properly. In a large food processor combine the Neatball ingredients: mushrooms, lintels, bell pepper, jalapeno, garlic cloves, onion, bread crumbs, pepper, salt, cumin, Italian herbs/seasoning, chili powder, red pepper flakes, and corn starch.
- Blend thoroughly and pour into a strainer (over the sink) and allow excess water to drip out for 10 minutes. Wrap in a paper towel or something that can absorb water and place in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Remove Neatball concoction from the fridge. It should be darker in color and bound together. Roll Neatballs into golf ball size treats. Place in a container and place back fridge for an hour.
- While Neatballs are doing their thing, use this time to string the zucchini if not already done and prepare the flax egg by mixing 1 tbsp of flaxseed and 3 tbsp of water. Stir well and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- Time to cook it up. Preheat oven at 450 degrees for later. In a large skillet pour an inch of oil and turn on medium-high heat. Individually, take a Neatball and dip in flax egg then coat with breadcrumbs and place in skillet. Allow Neatballs to cook for 7-9 minutes total. Make sure to flip/roll around to ensure the entire ball is cooked well. Remove once golden brown.
- Strings next…in a medium-size skillet, turn temp to medium-high and pour in a tbsp of oil. Add strings, stirring constantly, and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- In a medium pot, heat up marinara, diced chili’s, and roasted tomatoes on medium-high for 3-5 minutes then remove from heat.
- In an oven-safe dish, layer this baby. Layer bottom with tomato sauce then add zucchini strings then add the Neatballs, more sauce, and last cover with vegan mozzarella. Place in oven and allow to cook for 10 minutes. Remove and Enjoy!!!
It’s Time To Cook!
Let’s get cookin’! Thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoyed this episode of #LunchBreakLIVE as much as I did. I always enjoy it when Marlon is on…he is super creative with his cooking and always makes delicious vegan meals. I hope you will check out some of the many other recipes available for you to try from previous episodes of #LunchBreakLIVE. Until next time….
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.