Day 19 Of The 21 Day Vegan Kickstart
It is day 19 of the 21 day vegan kickstart collaboration with #LunchBreakLIVE and we’ve got two more plant-based recipes that are simple to make and totally delicious. Enjoy a yummy exotic Indian Cashew Curry “Navratan Kurma” and learn how to replace one of your favorite dairy products in a healthy and delicious way. For day 19 our guest Chef was Kara Blank-Gonzalez, and she is going to show us how it’s done. Let’s take a look…
Let’s Meet Our Chef
Kara Blank-Gonzalez was inspired to go veg in 2009 to keep up with her kids and also to avoid the ravages of Type 2 Diabetes that afflicted her father. By day, Kara is a college ESL instructor and in her free time, she teaches cooking classes with Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine’s (PCRM) Food for Life program. Pre-COVID, Kara taught Tuesday night cooking classes at Physicians Committee for 6 years, introducing hundreds of Washingtonians to plant-based eating for sustainable weight loss, Type 2 Diabetes reversal, and cancer prevention. Kara has always loved to cook (and eat!) and her focus is inspiring her students to make delicious healthy home-cooked meals. She now teaches Food for Life cooking classes online, offering easy, tasty recipes that anyone can whip up and enjoy at home. Kara lives in Arlington, Virginia with her husband and 3 teenage daughters, who cook scrumptious meals for their family and help out with her cooking classes. Check out Kara’s website ItHasToTasteGood.com and FFLClasses.org for the upcoming February 2021 class series, Foods for a Healthy Heart.
21 Day Vegan Kickstart Day 19: Recipe 1
Let’s take a look at the Indian Cashew Curry That was made for us today. This dish gets its incredible flavors from a mixture of spices. Serve it with rice and you’ve got a healthy and filling meal that will hold you over for hours. It is exotic, delicious, and 100% plant-based.
Indian Cashew Curry “Navratan Kurma”
- ¼ cup raw cashew nuts soaked in about 1/2 cup of water for about half an hour
- 3 cups mixed vegetables e.g., carrots, potatoes, cauliflower, green beans, chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped coarsely
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 inch piece ginger peeled
- 1 or more green chilies seeded, optional
- 1 tsp. poppy seeds optional
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 2 cardamom pods
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- ½ cup plain soy yogurt
- salt optional (to taste)
- ¼ cup raisins
- 3 tbsp. fresh cilantro finely chopped, for garnish
- Take cashews soaked in water, drain, and set soaking water aside. Place cashews in a blender and grind them into a fairly smooth paste. Add a little water if needed to make cashews into a paste.
- Steam mixed vegetables until tender.
- Place onion, garlic, ginger, chilies, and poppy seeds (if using) in a food processor. Process into a coarse paste or mince them. Add paste to nonstick, heavy steel or cast-iron pan and sauté until the mixture becomes fragrant or until it just begins to brown a bit. Add the turmeric, garam masala, and cardamon and stir.
- Then add tomatoes and cook, stirring, until tomatoes break down, approximately 3 minutes. Add soy yogurt and stir, letting the paste cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Add salt, if using.
- Add cooked vegetables, raisins, and cashew paste, mixing well. When the gravy comes to a boil, turn down the heat and simmer on a low flame for another 5 minutes for the flavors to incorporate. Garnish with cilantro.
21 Day Vegan Kickstart: Recipe 2
Do you love yogurt? Well, on day 19 of the 21 day vegan kickstart, we learned of a healthier alternative, with just as much flavor, if not more. It is a simple Berry and non-dairy yogurt dish that will satisfy your sweet tooth, and give you the creaminess you expect with yogurt. Help boost your brain health with the berry toppings, and choose between soy, coconut, or almond yogurts. Add some cinnamon for added flavor.
Berries and Nondairy Plain Yogurt
- 1/2 cup blackberries
- 1/2 cup unsweetened soy yogurt or another nondairy option
- cinnamon optional
- Serve the yogurt in a bowl topped with berries. Sprinkle cinnamon if you wish.
Two More Days Left
Thank you for joining us for day 19 of the 21 day vegan kickstart. We are approaching the end of our journey together, and wow, has it been fun, educational, and delicious. We have two more days left, so be sure to come back and join in on those last shows. I am certain the recipes will be awesome as always. And if you are looking for other easy vegan recipes to cook, be sure to stop by the #LunchBreakLIVE page. There are many to choose from. Until next time…keep cookin’!
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.