Looking For A Good Vegan Southern Food Recipe?
Who’s ever tried vegan Savannah style red rice? It is an awesome vegan southern food that guest chef Aisha Robinson shows us how to make. This is a fun episode of #LunchBeakLIVE and we are lucky to have Aisha here to cook some Southern flair for us. Let’s see how it’s done…
Let’s Meet Our Chef
Aisha Robinson is the founder of Vegan Meals that Heal. After experiencing homelessness on and off for eight years, she dreamt of a day where she would be able to help those trapped in food deserts. She and her mother started off by distributing 13 bowls of vegetable soup and hunks of cornbread wrapped in aluminum foil. After running out of food in such a short period of time, she realized how huge the need truly is. She began working with local urban farmers and food rescue programs to gather fresh fruits and veggies to begin providing more meals to those in Atlanta experiencing food and/or housing insecurity. To date, with the help of a few volunteers and her family, she has distributed over 4,800 hot vegan meals from the back of her Toyota mini van.
Give Me All The Vegan Southern Food Now!
There is nothing like good vegan southern food! It’s comfort in every bite! This Savannah style red rice that Aisha made for us looks so delicious, and it is so easy to make…and ya’ll know how much I love an easy vegan recipe! Forget long and complicated, give me easy and delicious! This is one of those dishes, so I am excited to give it a try. This is also a super filling dish, so it will keep you satisfied long after you enjoy eating it. So get messy in the kitchen and give this recipe a try. I think you will love it!
Vegan Savannah Style Red Rice and Sausage
- 1 red onion chopped
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic.
- 1 sheet of roasted nori sliced into thin slivers
- ¼ tsp applewood salt
- 1 king oyster mushroom sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp of fennel
- 1 Edward and Sons low sodium garden veggie bouillon cube
- 2 tbsp of chili paste or one scotch bonnet pepper
- 1 Beyond Meat sausage sliced into chunks
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- 2 cups of rice either prepared and chilled for at least an hour or rice prepared a day ago
- Coat bottom of cast iron pan with oil or water.
- Drop in onion, bell pepper, and nori into pan. Sprinkle with applewood salt and allow to saute’ on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Pour ¾ cup of water and 1 bouillon cube into pan. Add mushroom slices. Allow mushrooms to saute for 10 minutes. Add one teaspoon of agave, one teaspoon of curry powder and 1 ½ cups of okra. Add Beyond Meat sausage slices and allow to simmer for five minutes. Add one can of tomato paste, one cup of water, and one cup of water and one scotch bonnet pepper, with seeds removed or two teaspoons of chili paste. Add two cups of rice, stir in. Add enough water to coat the bottom of pan if needed.
Thanks For Joining Us For Some Yummy Vegan Southern Food!
This was such a yummy and fun episode of #LunchBreakLIVE. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did! Give this Savahnna style red rice a try, and let us know how you liked it. And if you are looking for more easy vegan recipes to cook up, stop by the #LunchBreaklIVE page. We have a ton of recipes to choose from. Until next time…keep cookin’!
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.