What Is A Vegan Corn Dog Muffin?
Easy mini vegan corn dog muffins that are the perfect little savory appetizer! Today’s #LunchBreakLIVE guest Chef is Kelly Kerr, creator of The VeganAbler and The VeganAbler Collective, a global network of vegan chefs and content creators. Let’s see how she makes these cornmeal muffins with some vegan hotdogs in the middle! These are tasty, super creative, and fun.
THE VEGANABLER COLLECTIVE
Guest Chef Kelly Kerr, aka The VeganAbler, is a plant-based chef and vegan facilitator, supporting those on their plant-based journey! She is a lifestyle coach, offering various services, from shopping support to virtual cooking classes, to families and businesses. Kelly is the founder of The VeganAbler Collective, a network of food solutionaries, connecting chefs, coaches, and businesses worldwide.
Vegan Corn Dog Muffins Will Be A Hit
These cute little vegan corn dog muffins are sure to be a hit at any party or gathering. They are savory and delicious, simple to make, and a favorite for all who try them. Dip them in ketchup, mustard, or both and you will be reminded of your corn dogs on a stick from childhood, only these are 100% cruelty-free and plant-based.
Vegan Corn Dog Muffins
- 1 ¼ cups all purpose flour can sub with gluten free 1:1 blend
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal fine or a medium coarse, depending on what you like texture-wise
- 1/3 cup sugar I used an organic cane sugar, however coconut, light brown or golden yellow sugar works well too
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup plant based milk I used soy
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar or sub regular vinegar
- ⅔ cup vegan butter/margarine
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup agave, or vegan honey
- 9 plant based hotdogs cubed (Yves & Lightlife are a few brands that make them)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Lightly grease a mini muffin tin.
- Boil a pot of water (filled halfway) and cook hotdogs 3-5 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl. Add the cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix together until thoroughly blended .
- Make buttermilk: Add the apple cider vinegar to the milk and set aside 5 minutes to curdle.
- Add the vegan butter/margarine to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave 20-30 seconds until the butter is melted.
- Add the buttermilk mix and maple syrup/agave/vegan honey to the melted butter. Whisk thoroughly.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix into a batter. Don't over mix. The batter should be airy and fluffy.
- Once hotdogs are cooled, cut each one into 4 equal pieces. Set aside.
- Fill the mini muffin tray with batter (approximately 3/4 full).
- Place a piece of the hot dog into the middle of the mini muffin, pushing down lightly into the batter until the batter rises close to the top and mostly covers the hotdog.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the muffins comes out clean.
- Allow to cool 10 minutes before removing them from the muffin tray and placing them onto a wire cooling rack or tray to cool completely. Enjoy with ketchup, mustard, or a vegan cheese sauce!
You can also make these regular size muffins with the hotdog piece (just cut the cooked hotdog into 3 pieces instead of 4), or dice them up and add to the mixture (yields 12 regular muffins).
Thanks For Joining Us For Lunch
I hope you enjoyed this recipe for vegan corn dog muffins as much as I did. It looks like such a fun recipe for the whole family, one that even the kiddos would enjoy. Give it a try and let us know how you liked it. Take a photo of your finished muffins and tag @UnChained_TV on Instagram. Looking for other plant-based recipes to cook up? Jump on over to the #LunchBreakLIVE page, where we have a ton to choose from. Until next time..keep cookin’!
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.