IF YOU’VE NEVER HAD A ZUCCHINI FRITTER, NOW IS THE TIME!
Did someone say zucchini fritters? Oh yeah, and fresh homemade vegan sour cream? Get ready for a blender dance with vegan chef Kelly Kerr, founder of The VeganAbler Collective. On today’s #LunchBreakLIVE Kelly shows us how to make these comforting fritters, topped with creamy sour cream…and everything is 100% plant-based. Yeah, baby! Let’s take a look at how it’s done…
THE VEGANABLER COLLECTIVE
Kelly Kerr, aka The VeganAbler, is a plant-based chef and vegan facilitator, supporting those on their plant-based journey! She is a lifestyle coach, offering various services, from shopping support to virtual cooking classes, to families and businesses. Kelly is the founder of The VeganAbler Collective, a network of food solutionaries, connecting chefs, coaches, and businesses worldwide.
TIME FOR ZUCCHINI FRITTERS DROPPED FROM THE HEAVENS
Zucchini fritters are the perfect comfort food to take with you to the couch while you snuggle down in front of Netflix for some binge-watching. Smother these heavenly pancakes with some homemade vegan sour cream, and pure bliss awaits! They are pretty darn simple to make, I think I can even pull these off, so go ahead and give them a try. It’s easy to have your favorite fritters, totally veganized!
Vegan zucchini fritters
- Ingredients Fritters:
- 4 cups grated zucchini measured before removing the water from the zucchini
- 1 flax egg 1 Tbsp of ground flax seed mixed with 3 Tbsp of water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup vegan parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 clove minced garlic or substitute garlic powder
- 2 spring onion or scallion minced
- 1/4 cup vegan butter melted
- 2 TBSP neutral oil for frying
- Ingredients vegan cashew sour cream:
- makes 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 cups
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked in water ideally filtered for minimum 4-6 hours (to overnight) - the longer they are soaked the easier it will be to blend them!
- ½ cup unsweetened non dairy yoghurt substitute with plain or canned coconut cream if you cannot find non dairy yoghurt although it your sour cream will have a coconut taste if you do not have access to either just use water
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice can add more to taste
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar can add more to taste
- 3/4 tsp teaspoon salt can add more to taste
- Instructions Fritters:
- Grate the zucchini into a mixing bowl. Sprinkle salt over the zucchini and thoroughly mix it in. Let zucchini sit for 10-20 minutes to allow for the salt to release the excess water from the zucchini.
- Using your hands, squeeze the zucchini to remove the excess water. Place the squeezed zucchini into another bowl and discard the water.
- Make your flax egg (mix your ground flax seed with water and allow to set & thicken for approximately 5 minutes).
- Add the flour, nutritional yeast, flax egg, baking powder, vegan parmesan, pepper, garlic and chopped spring onions/scallions to the zucchini and mix together. The mixture will be crumbly & a bit sticky from the flax egg (this is ok!)
- Pour the melted vegan butter a Tbsp at a time over the mixture and stir thoroughly until you form a thick batter.
- Turn your burner to a medium heat. Add 1 Tbsp of neutral oil to a frying pan and allow to heat. Once heated, use an ice cream scoop or 1/4 cup measuring cup to scoop out even sized amounts of batter into the frying pan. Taking a spatula, lightly flatten the fritter. You should be able to get 3 fritters in the frying pan.
- Cook fritters 4-5 minutes then flip and lightly press down again on fritter & cook another 4-5 minutes until brown & fritter looks thoroughly cooked inside.
- Repeat cooking steps with your remaining fritter batter.
- Serve with a dollop of vegan sour cream and garnish with more chopped spring onions/scallions or try adding fresh/dry parsley!
- Instructions Sour Cream:
- Drain cashews, rinse them, and drain again.
- Add yoghurt, lemon juice & apple cider vinegar first to a high-powered blender. Then add cashews & salt. Blend 2-3 minutes on high until creamy and smooth. Scrape down the sides as needed. Taste mixture & add more salt, lemon juice, or apple vinegar to your taste preference.
- Pour the sour cream into an airtight container & store in the fridge for 1-2 hours to allow the sour cream to thicken. It should keep about 3-5 days.
THANKS FOR JOINING US!
Fritters! Fritters! Fritters! Let’s go make some fritters! If you decide to give these scrumptious treats a try, be sure to take a photo and tag @JaneUnChainedNews on Instagram, and leave a comment here letting us know how you liked them. if you are looking for more vegan recipes to try, be sure to jump over to the #LunchBreakLIVE page, where we have a ton to choose from. Until next time…keep cookin’!
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.