This Vegan Gyro Recipe Is Bangin’!
You’ve been looking for a vegan Gyro? well, we’ve got the perfect recipe for you. This Gyro is so tasty, it will transport you straight to Greece with every bite! Guest Chef Marlon Rison joins us again for another one of his incredible and tasty dishes!
Who Is This Magnificent Chef?
We know Marlon can whip up a spectacular vegan Gyro! But let’s learn a bit more about him:
Marlon Rison, PlantbasedG, transitioned to a vegan lifestyle during the summer of 2017 in an effort to improve his health, but he quickly grew to appreciate the compassion for animals. After losing over 150 lbs, and equipped with an open mind, he was led to seek out like-minded people at live events and through social media. His world changed as a result.
Through these interactions, opportunities arose that include speaking engagements, in-person cooking, and live streaming, special focus interviews, and even recognition from VegNews Magazine as one of the “Black Vegans” you need to follow on Instagram.
Marlon’s most recent venture is the compilation of his first cookbook—Quarantine 15. A collection of 15 (plus one bonus) curated vegan recipes to comfort the soul and nourish the body. Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, the cookbook will be available for download on Shopify. Also available are some cool swag, including t-shirts and caps.
Marlon’s greatest passion is to be a change agent, providing a living breathing example of what can be done if you treat yourself like you love yourself—beginning with what you feed your body.
As you can see Marlon is a multi-talented and super inspirational guy. We love having him on #LunchBreakLIVE. His recipes are always so tasty and unique. I loved the episode where he showed us how to make his famous Patty Melt, sent straight from heaven. Don’t miss that one. But today, it’s time to check out these awesome vegan Gyro’s!
You Craving Some Vegan Gyro Now?
Me too! Below is the recipe for this mouth-watering meal that will keep you coming back for more. I do hope you try and make it yourself at home. It won’t disappoint!
- 2 large portobello mushrooms
- 1 tbsp of cumin
- 1 tsp of pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp of MAGGI’s seasoning sauce
- 1 cup of veggie broth
- ½ cup of kale chopped
- ½ cup of shredded purple cabbage
- 1 large sliced tomato
- ¼ cup chopped hatch chili
- ¼ cup chopped black olives
- Spicy garlic chili sauce
- Pita bread large circles
- Zesty sprouts or pea sprouts for wraps
- 4 tbsp of avocado oil
- Tzatziki Sauce Ingredients: make ahead of time
- 1/2 of a large cucumber unpeeled
- 1 1/4 cups plain nut-based Greek yogurt
- 2 large garlic cloves diced
- 1 tbsp of avocado oil I used oil from my bottled garlic sundried tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp of squeezed lemon juice
- TzaTziki sauce first…we want to let this sit for a few hours in the fridge before consuming.
- Grate the cucumber and drain through a fine-mesh for 15 minutes to remove moisture. Squeeze in paper towel to remove additional water.
- Combine the cucumber, yogurt, garlic, oil, lemon juice, pepper and salt in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 3-4 hours.
- Time to prepare the portobello using the “smash” method. Turn stove on medium and in a large skillet pour in 2 tbsp of avocado oil and ¼ cup of veggie broth. Season the mushrooms upside down creating a bowl and add MAGGI’s, cumin, pepper, and salt. Place in the skillet with the bowl facing up.
- In order to thin them out, place a heavy pot (you can add water for weight) or cast iron skillet on the mushrooms while they cook. Make sure it’s balanced. This will remove the excess moisture and allow them to cook through easily while giving us the texture we are looking for. Cook on medium heat for 10 minutes then cook on low for another 10 min.
- Now that our Porto's are thin, let’s get them gyro ready. While in skillet slice the shroom long ways. We are going to cook the slices on medium-high to get a crisp texture. Cook for 5-7 minutes or when the desired texture is achieved.
- Add additional oil and veggie broth as they cook to keep from getting too dry.
- Throw pita bread in the oven for 5 -7 minutes on high heat. Remove tzatziki sauce from the fridge.
- In pita bread, add cabbage, kale, tomatoes, mushrooms, hatch chili, olives, sprouts, tzatziki sauce, and spicy garlic sauce on top. Enjoy!
I am Off To Make Some Vegan Gyros!
I don’t know about you but I am STARVING and craving a good ole’ vegan Gyro…so off I go to cook one up now that I know how! Will you try this recipe at home too? Let me know how you like it in the comments. I would love to know! Be sure to check out some of our previous episodes of #LunchBreakLIVE for more amazing vegan recipes. Until next time…
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.